News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Registering an unregistered gun and CT Permit

Issues related to the permit application process in CT

Moderator: Moderators

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Registering an unregistered gun and CT Permit

Postby phoffer961 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I have a question for you!

My father, who lives in Milford, is concerned about the home invasion which occurred in Milford a couple of weeks ago. He has a pistol which he has owned for 40 years however it has never been registered! He is worried if he ever had to protect himself and his family, he would get in trouble for firing his unregistered gun.

He is 82 years young and is considering getting his carry permit. After he get's his permit, how does he go about registering his pistol without getting into legal trouble? Does he have to take it to the Milford PD? To a FFL dealer? Any information would be appreciated! Thank you!

AGust82
Sharpshooter IV
Sharpshooter IV

Postby AGust82 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Millions of unregistered guns exist in this country. If it was purchased before automatic registration or in a place that didn't require it then there's nothing wrong with possessing it or firing it.

hayes1966
High Master II
High Master II

Postby hayes1966 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.
NRA Certified Instructor - Si vis pacem, para bellum - http://www.ct-permit.com

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:27 pm

That's the nice part about CT, if you had it before the registration doo-dad came into effect, you don't need to do a thing. Likewise, even now if you move into state, you don't need to register it.
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby phoffer961 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you for the replies! Does he have to have his permit or as long as he doesn't transport the pistol he is okay with out it?

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby phoffer961 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:53 pm

hayes1966 wrote:No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.

Hayes,

I assume he has to wait to get his permit before he files the DPS-3 form? Correct?

hayes1966
High Master II
High Master II

Postby hayes1966 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm

phoffer961 wrote:
hayes1966 wrote:No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.

Hayes,

I assume he has to wait to get his permit before he files the DPS-3 form? Correct?

No, you can send in the form anytime to register the firearm. You are not buying a firearm so no approval required.

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 pm

I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."
-David Icke

hayes1966
High Master II
High Master II

Postby hayes1966 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm

myglimk2 wrote:I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02

I agree!

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby phoffer961 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 pm

hayes1966 wrote:
myglimk2 wrote:I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02

I agree!

Thank you!

Return to “Permit Related Questions/Issues”