Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By hayes1966
The NRA is rolling out a blended learning program where the student completes part of the course online. They they do the range time with an instructor. It is not going down too well with instructors as the NRA will charge between $45 and $75 per student. As an instructor I will not just rubber stamp NRA approved students. How can I verify that the individual in front of me is the person who completed the online part of the course?

It will make the process more expensive for students and it is currently very expensive to get your permit in CT.

I am not happy with the NRA's attempt to control the process strictly for financial gain.
By Hddreamer
hayes1966 wrote:The NRA is rolling out a blended learning program where the student completes part of the course online. They they do the range time with an instructor. It is not going down too well with instructors as the NRA will charge between $45 and $75 per student. As an instructor I will not just rubber stamp NRA approved students. How can I verify that the individual in front of me is the person who completed the online part of the course?

It will make the process more expensive for students and it is currently very expensive to get your permit in CT.

I am not happy with the NRA's attempt to control the process strictly for financial gain.
I agree with hayes1966 on this , anyone can fill out the app on line for a friend and as soon as it gets around you will be able to find the answers on line too !
Bad move on the NRAs part !
By Mike-Sid
I heard this was done to combat the rubber stamping by NRA instructors. Now the on line test will make sure the student really took the written portion.
If you have the certificate from the online portion, you will be good to go. Some instructors have morphed the written/classroom portion into a self defense class or gun sales session. It is a safety class.
By hayes1966
Mike-Sid wrote:I heard this was done to combat the rubber stamping by NRA instructors. Now the on line test will make sure the student really took the written portion.
If you have the certificate from the online portion, you will be good to go. Some instructors have morphed the written/classroom portion into a self defense class or gun sales session. It is a safety class.
I know someone who received their permit from a lawyer without doing the live fire part of the course. The new format goes beyond a safety course, it now requires people to grade the students based on marksmanship. It will also make the course more expensive for a student with the NRA charging between $45 and $75 for the online part of the course. The instructor is still required to review the material as part of the course. The one downside I see to this is that there is no book given to the student, many use this long after the class is finished with. I believe this will have the opposite affect as the same rogue instructors will just rubber stamp students who complete the online course.
By SR9
hayes, that may happen but ultimately everyone will be responsible for that the do with that permit once they get it. There is no sure method to sort out the bozos from the good people. Nothing that is done with testing and certification will judge the character of the applicant.
By Arby238
Hayes, the student do get a book. they get an online ebook as soon as they pay for the class and also 1 is mailed to them. That is what the email I got this week from the NRA said.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!