Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By Rich_B
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... CEAL-CARRY
Ed Peruta wrote: To all who read this post,

Listen to this audio clip of the recent oral arguments at the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York and then read the training document from Torrington P.D. in PDF format at the end of this post.
Here is the audio link: http://www.ctgunrights.com/0.2nd.Cir...11.21.2011.wmv

Not all encounters with law enforcement turn out bad and sometimes good things happen. I will post more on this topic later, but want to provide this public document to as many individuals as possible. Print it and keep it folded and in your wallet or purse, it really is a very informative public record.

A previous encounter and informative discussion with two plainclothes openly carrying officers from the Torrington Police Department on East Main Street in Torrington, (where the Goldberg case became a topic), seems to have led to this Roll Call Training document being drafted.

At the time of the discussion, I was openly carrying in a Mobile gas stations/Dunkin Donuts and was provided with the opportunity to discuss my position with both officers. I later paid a visit to Torrington Police Headquarters and followed up with a ranking member of the Department who had an open mind on the subject of Connecticut Firearm laws.

This document was obtained on December 2, 2011 from the Torrington Police Department in response to a request made to the Sgt. in their records Department.

Personally I am extremely pleased with the Torrington Police Department and how they have taken the steps necessary to properly inform the members of their department on the topic of Permits to Carry Pistols or Revolvers in the State of Connecticut.

The training memo is extremely direct and offers plain language guidance to members of the Torrington Police Department who can now properly handle situations with those who choose to carry firearms openly or concealed in CT.

Here is the scanned text version of the document I was provided with today:

Torrington Police Department - Roll Call Training (09/2011)

Connecticut Pistol Permit Clarification

Some questions have recently arisen in regards to the right of an individual who possesses a valid state pistol permit to carry his/her firearm in plain view. (Open carry verses Concealed carry.)

None of the Connecticut State Statues indicate that a person who possesses a valid state permit must conceal the firearm they are carrying. Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.

The large majority of permit holders carry firearms in a concealed manner, as not to bring attention to themselves or alarm those not aware of the law.

Many State and Local Police Officers are not well versed on the law in this area.

People have been arrested for Breach of Peace or Disorderly Conduct in the past for open carry of their firearm because doing so created "alarm ,annoyance or inconvenience", as quoted from the state statutes.

However, one must reason that:

If the open carry of a firearm by a valid permit holder is legal; and another person or persons are alarmed, annoyed or inconvenienced because they are unaware that the permit holder is exercising his legal right to carry his weapon unconcealed; this in itself would NOT constitute a crime on the part of the permit holder.

The permit does not infringe upon public or private entities from banning firearms from certain areas. The banning of firearms (Concealed or Open View) can and is banned in many public buildings, sports stadiums, school grounds, etc.

If valid permit holder has a firearm on his person (Concealed or not) and is in a public or private place that prohibits firearms; that person should be made aware of the prohibition and asked to leave. They may secure their weapon and return. If the person refuses to leave and still has the weapon on their person this would be a criminal trespass violation.
, , ',~ .
** Note: The vast majority of permit holders carry firearms daily without any problems or interaction with law enforcement. There may be some individuals out in public at this time purposely carrying their weapons in an open fashion to test or bait police officers who are unfamiliar with the law into arresting them, so they may bring civil action against the officers and state or municipality.

**Officer and Public Safety always comes first.*· Having a good knowledge of the laws will help in this situation. Officers may still detain a person carrying a firearm to ascertain if that person has a valid permit. If this is the case and there is no other violation, the person is free to leave. If that person is acting in a manner that violates any other laws or ordinances, appropriate action should be taken. A professional response without overreaction will go a long way in these situations.

Captain Francis T. Balzano #302
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attac ... 1322876412
By hayes1966
Torrington PD needs to send this down to the Wallingford PD.
By 67malibu
SR9 wrote:Should go to every PD in CT.
thats for sure !

people freak out when they see a gun. I had mine on and we stopped to eat. I took off my jacket and was sitting there eating. when I got up to leave I started to place my jacket back on and a lady shot her friend a comment about me having a firearm. I just smiled and walked out... BUT my wife was pissed. :roll:
By sjcolwell2
Two thumbs up to TPD!!!
By Rich_B
67malibu wrote: people freak out when they see a gun. I had mine on and we stopped to eat. I took off my jacket and was sitting there eating. when I got up to leave I started to place my jacket back on and a lady shot her friend a comment about me having a firearm. I just smiled and walked out... BUT my wife was pissed. :roll:
Is that what passes for 'freaking out' these days?
By 67malibu
whens she pointing and acting like she just seen a reborn bin laden then yes it is. :lol:
By Rich_B
67malibu wrote:whens she pointing and acting like she just seen a reborn bin laden then yes it is. :lol:
Are you sure it was the firearm on your hip?

Next time, check your zipper.
By YeaItsSlo
I never get ANY reaction when ocing...
By Rich_B
YeaItsSlo wrote:I never get ANY reaction when ocing...
Other than the very public issues I have had (two within 5 months of each other last year, hardly 'often'), most of the 'reactions' I have seen are pretty positive.

If I saw someone pointing at my waist and talking in hushed tones I think I would be far more likely to go check my fly.
By GreggAndrews
CT isn't a terribly gun-friendly state; it's the political climate we live in.

A majority of people in CT, aren't gun-nuts as the rest of us are. They are bound to be frightened, or at the very least startled by the presence of a firearm out in the open; no matter how trivial their reactions are, they are still reactions.

HOWEVER, I have to say that this is good news. I don't care for OC myself, but it's a step in the right direction! Keep it up! :)
By 67malibu
nah if the fly was down I'd expect 8O and someone would call animal control for a loose anaconda :lol:
By myglimk2
67malibu wrote:nah if the fly was down I'd expect 8O and someone would call animal control for a loose anaconda :lol:
Wishful thinking?
By 67malibu
lol... exactly what the wife just said as i was typing it.
By Rich_B
GreggAndrews wrote: A majority of people in CT, aren't gun-nuts as the rest of us are. They are bound to be frightened, or at the very least startled by the presence of a firearm out in the open; no matter how trivial their reactions are, they are still reactions.
You keep parroting that Brady campaign/Mike Lawlor line, but you never provide any data for it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!