Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with fishing. Feel free to tell the tale of the one that got away.
By myglimk2
Anyone using a small deep cycle battery, say to power a trolling motor on a small boat/craft?
Curious to see what you're using and recommendations on a decent battery.

I need a small battery to help save weight on my single person pontoon.

Thanks!
By AGust82
I use a Cabela's deep cycle. Works great. They sell for right about $100. Buy it from a place that sells lots of them (Cabela's) to insure you don't get one that's been on a shelf for 2 years. Get a charger that is designed to charge deep cycles too. Regular ones will shorten life of the battery.
By JohnFH
Do you have any idea on the size you are looking for?

Tractor and motorcycle batterys are about half the size of a car battery and run like 400 amps or so, there are also LiPo and LiFi cells that are much lighter and can be custom assembled pretty easy.

If you add solar charging, you can go lighter on the battery because it doesn't have to carry as much charge.

Does the motor you plan on using have specs like current draw? That would help you decide how much battery you need for the time you plan on needing it.
By myglimk2
Just going to be using it for a 12v trolling motor on my small single person pontoon boat. I'll have to check the specs on the motor. I do plan on getting a 5w solar cell to help with the charging while out on the lake.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!