Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By CTSixshot
Just a reminder that there are at least two area gun clubs with monthly public events coming up:
Harwinton R&G 2 gun match (rifle/pistol) 8 May 2100 $10
Mattabassett R&PC Rifle pin shoot followed by pistol plate shoot (14 May 2011) $10 each event (non-members).
See announcements/links below for more details.
By PaiN
One of these days I'm going to get the M1 out to the pin shoots
By CTSixshot
The 30 carbine seems to be one of the best rounds for taking pins down. It tends to bust them up better than the 5.56 (which go right through w/no effect) and the big bores even.
By GreggAndrews
I'll see what I can do to get to the HRG match, but I still haven't sighted in my carbine. Probably won't be able to either just for the fact I'm working freaking 12hr. shifts all this week... :evil:
By newguy
I know this may sound kinda stupid but what a Pin shoot
By JohnFH
shooting at old bowling pins to knock them off a table, much harder then it sounds, use BIG bullets
By GreggAndrews
That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. Would 9x19 from a carbine be enough to do it, or would I need something bigger?
By newguy
Ahh my 8mm Mauser would prolly do a good job knocking down pins even better if i use Turkish 8mm ammo
By GreggAndrews
Follow-up shots would be a little slow though.
By JohnFH
9x19 might work, but plan on lots of ammo, and use the heaviest bullet you can.

A couple of guys I know shoot 255gr 45acp.
By GreggAndrews
All I have is the Federal (red box at Wally-World) 115gr. I'll have to pick up more (and a few more magazines).
By CTSixshot
The pin shoot at Mattabassett requires very little punch to knock a pin off the small steel pedestal. These are not on a broad table like the pinshoot at NWCSA, so even my 18g plastic bullets will knock a pin off the stand, if I hit it. The pins are on a steel plate maybe 3" square.
You can send a .224" FMJ right through the pin with hardly a wobble; use soft/hollow points, if shooting .224"
Yes, an 8mm Mauser will knock it off just by blowing it over...almost. I still think the 30 carbine seems to hit them with the most debris-scattering effect.
Come and try it, it's fun with any rifle round.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
If I'm not on call Saturday the 14th I will dust the M1 off for the Mattabassett pin shoot.(problem is these shoots ALWAYS seem to fall on the Sats I have to take call :( )
This weekend I'm finishing a stone walk, I doubt I'll be able to attend HRG.
By CTSixshot
Well...
...there's always next month...
...and then it will be Winter again!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]