Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By CTrifleman
Hoffman's range manager let a .45 acp fly inside the store this afternoon. The store was full of customers, the round hit the floor not 10 feet from an elderly couple.

In typical fashion Scott tried to hide the incident but police showed up later to investigate. Just like he tried to hide Darin shooting himself on the range. Darin teaches permit classes, you know the ones that stress gun safety!!

What a joke this place is.
By Savage99
Its too bad it happened. I agree that I don't like the atmosphere in Hoffmans. However it is a gun shop and we are all for that.

I go way back to when Marvin ran gunshops in various locations in New Britain. He was a gentleman.

I go there once in a while. They have had primers when others have not.

A while ago I picked up a neat SXS shotgun there.
By hayes1966
The gun shop is one thing but there is some very obvious safety issues with the range there. I believe one member of the staff was let go for complaining about the lead exposure from the range. The firearm instructor shot himself and now this.
By Mike-Sid
Tell me more about the instructor shooting themself.

What was the range manager doing with a loaded gun in the store??
By JohnB
thats a 10 on the pucker factor
By CTrifleman
Thanks Hayes1966 for the link to the detailed report. I think everyone here has it right. All of the most basic rules are being ignored at Hoffmans by staff that should know better. #1) All guns are to be considered loaded until YOU check it. #2) Finger off the trigger until sighs are on target.

Both Darin shooting himself in the leg (and he now constantly blames the holster) and this incident violate all the basic rules. So the person they have employed & teaching gun safety shoots himself and now the Range Manager fires a round in the store. Geez how about checking the gun FIRST.

Hoffmans is constantly on people using their range (as they should be) to follow their rules but they ignore the rules themselves. So the only thing that hasn't happened there yet is a cutomer being shot.

They should be taking every step possible to check and double check that things like this don't happen. Instead they initially try to cover it up and then put blame on everything else & other people. Darin was totally responsible for shooting himself. He put his finger on the trigger and pulled it while it was pointed at his leg, otherwise it would not have happened. The Range Manager pulled the trigger without checking the gun, period. They need a professional to come in and teach THEM safety.
By Socom
hayes1966 wrote:There is a detailed report on this current issue at

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 353&page=1

Primary rule when handling a firearm .. check it.
Thank's Mr. Hayes for that detailed report... I just can not believe it !!!, of all places, no less. Im sure glad i wasn't there aspecialy with my wife (who's not that fond of firearms) because she would have started on me, there and all the way home and them some... :( I carry 24/7.. That don't leave much peace and quite time!!! I think, I have made my last trip to Hoffmans... Don't much care for Scott anyway, Wish Dino was still able to run the place.
By Mike-Sid
Which guy is Dino??
By CTSixshot
Who is the older fella that used work the store...I saw him behind the counter a few weeks back? (sorry, I don't have any pictures.)
...obviously he isn't Dino! (Maybe he is Mort Hoffman; I always assumed he was a Hoffman...?)
By SR9
hayes1966 wrote:Not too many people seem to care for Hoffmans.

http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/show ... p?p=357460
Interesting. I certainly understand how some have been turned off by Hoffmans with their experience there and now this incident. But I have to say that I have not had any trouble there. I purchased 2 pistols there, 1 used and 1 new and they were pleasant and accomodating both times. I was never rushed or pushed in a direction that I did not want to go.

In any case, I don't doubt the facts but I just have not had trouble there. Maybe I have just been lucky.

The safety issue needs to be resolved no doubt. Actually, that is one reason I prefer a club or a range that is not busy.
By hayes1966
I have purchased several firearms from Hoffmans over the years. The last being a S&W 22A a few months back. don't go to the store for the customer service. I go there for the prices on some of the items.

This recent lapse in safe firearm handling has caused me to think differently.

As for public ranges I try to avoid them but do like Bridgeport as they have a security camera system where each port in monitored. I go to Torrington on nights that it is quiet just to use some class iii items.

Private clubs are a better place for shooters to go, they know who they are shooting with and membership is vetted.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!