Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By djmiked
There will be an IDPA match hosted by NECPL at the Metacon Gun Club this Sunday. Start time is 11:00AM. Walk thru about 10 minutes prior.
The course of fire can be found online at www.necpl.com Click on calendar of events and then IDPA Match for June 7.
By JohnFH
Can you explain what "concealment required" means?
By djmiked
It means that both your gun and spare mags must be hidden. Like if you were going out to the store with your concealed handgun. Some guys will just wear a shirt over their gun/mags, some will wear a vest or outter jacket to hide them. Anything that will cover your gun and not make it obvious that you are carrying. Does that help/make sense?
By CTSixshot
JohnFH, generally this means you have to wear a vest or any garment that conceals or covers your gear. It would be as if you were on the street carrying.
By JohnFH
How many rounds in a typical course of fire?
And how much for a non member to shoot?

I found the rule book on the site so I got most of it, need to check my holsters and decide what to shoot, so many guns, so little ammo :D
By djmiked
If you look on website under the course of fire, it will tell you the minimum amount of rounds you will need for each stage. I believe this match has 4 strings. I think the non-member cost for this match is $10.
By nyalex98
Any gun restrictions?
By djmiked
Typical IDPA rules for handguns. A copy of the IDPA rulebook can be found on the NECPL website on the left column if you are unfamiliar with the types of guns used in the matches. Revolver or semiauto can be used. 10 round max capacity in the semi's.

From the rulebook: The main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship. “Competition only” equipment is not permitted in this sport.

The firearms are grouped into five (5) divisions: 1) Custom Defensive
Pistol (.45ACP semi-automatics only); 2) Enhanced Service Pistol (9mm
(9x19) or larger caliber semi-automatics); 3) Stock Service Pistol
(9mm (9x19) or larger caliber double action, double action only, or
safe action semi-automatics); 4) Enhanced Service Revolver (.38
caliber or larger double action revolvers); and 5) Stock Service Revolver
(.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers). See Appendix One –
Equipment for delineations in the revolver divisions. Shooters are then
classed by like-skill levels with progression from Novice (NV); to
Marksman (MM); to Sharpshooter (SS); to Expert (EX); and, finally, to Master (MA).

If you are NOT IDPA classified, then you don't have to worry. You will be shooting with all those that are Non-IDPA members. But the basic IDPA rules apply.
By randolf
djmike did you shoot this match?
By djmiked
Yes I certainly did! I wish I shot a little better, but I did have fun.
By djmiked
I almost forgot. It was a pleasure to meet John at the match. Did you ever find that .22 ammo you were looking for after you left?
By JohnFH
Nice to meet you too Mike. I'll probably try shooting the next match.
Need a mag pouch.
Does the holster have to have a "positive" retention(thump strap or the like?), or just be secure?

Dicks had 200 rounds, should hold me till I get to my regular shop.
By djmiked
It does not have to have a thumb strap, but if it does have a thumb strap, you have to use it. Usually the only time you see guys using a thumb strap is when they are using their duty gear (police officer, security etc).

It has to cover the trigger and it should remain "open" and not collapse after the gun is drawn. The reason for this is when you re-holster you don't want to be screwing around with trying to get the gun into something that is collapsed.
By randolf
are you deangelo mike who finish next to john freda?
and were you in the same group as me when I shoot?
By djmiked
I did finish second to John. I don't recall which group you were in. I started off shooting in Group 2 on the right side of the range.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!