Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By hayes1966
Glastonbury Shooting Range Re-Opens
For 2009 Season

Weekend Hours Begin May 9, 2009

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announced today that the Glastonbury Shooting Range is scheduled to re-open for supervised public use starting Saturday, May 9, 2009. The range is located within the Meshomasic State Forest off of Toll Gate Road in Glastonbury and has been closed for the winter period. Following extensive renovations completed in 2004, the range has been open during limited weekend hours for the past four seasons. The range will remain open through November 29, 2009 and will be staffed by seasonal DEP employees that are certified range safety officers.

Hours of operation will be from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays only. There is no fee to use the range. The range will be closed to public use during all other times and DEP Environmental Conservation (EnCon) Police officers will strictly enforce hours of operation. Reservations can be made by contacting the DEP Eastern District Headquarters in Marlborough at (860) 295-9523, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:30 p.m. Callers may make a single position and time slot reservation. Reservation requests cannot be left on voice mail or by e-mail. Due to high demand, only one time slot per shooter is available during each weekend. A total of ten covered shooting positions are available during two time periods: 10:00 am – 12 noon and 12 noon – 2:00 p.m.

Shooters who cannot produce proof of prior firearms training such as a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Safety (CE/FS) certificate, Firearms Hunting License, Pistol Permit, Police credentials or Military identification will only be allowed to shoot under the direct supervision of a qualified person at all times. Shooting position assignments will be made at the discretion of the range safety officer. Target stands will be provided at 25, 50, 75 and 100-yard distances, but shooters must supply their own targets and stapler or tape for target placement. Only paper targets will be allowed and shooters should be reminded to bring eye and ear protection, which will be required at all times.

Rifles, shotguns, pistols and muzzle loading rifles may be used, however fully automatic weapons are not permitted. The site is handicapped accessible, with a specially designed shooting bench for wheelchair access and includes portable sanitary facilities. Walk-in shooters will be accommodated for unreserved positions or as space becomes available. The range may be closed due to severe weather and staffing availability. More detailed information, range rules and directions are available on the DEP website at www.ct.gov/dep/hunting , once there, select "Target and Trap Shooting" under the 2009 Hunting Season menu.

Federal funding for site improvements, range equipment and seasonal staffing is provided through Connecticut’s Conservation Education/Firearms Safety Program. Federal funds available to the states through the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (commonly referred to as the Pittman-Robertson Act), are derived from a federal excise tax on firearms, ammunition and archery equipment.
By CTSixshot
Hooray! There you go, guinness!
By guinness126
Ya know, maybe I should just become a RO, and help them out. :wink:
By ctdw
I have not been to this range yet, but plan to go soon. Is it possible to place your target closer then 25yrds? Will they let you place them closer if you are shooting pistols?

CTDW
By CTSixshot
Certainly.
They allow only paper targets, but provide stands and such. You can set them anywhere as long as the R.O.s deem it safe. Generally, it has to be placed outside the shooting port and downrange, so that gives you plenty of latitude.

I was there yseterday. Hours are short and it gets crowded. You would do well to reserve by phone for best results, but I've always got a spot as a walk-in.
By randolf
ctsix are you not a member of a private gun club? or you just like to shoot in that range because you like that 4rth of july noise.
By CTSixshot
I am not a member in a private club right now, no. I'll be looking over Elm City at the shoot on the 23rd, but I doubt membership will be pending immediately, even if they'll have me.

Oh...we don't make noise at that range. We usually sit around and meditate til closing.
By guinness126
I thought shooting at the range was "therapy", not meditation. Well, at least for ME. 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!