Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By nyalex98
Yesterday stopped at Valley Firearms in Shelton, found some Remington 9X19/115gr (Walmart price $8.95 for a box of 50). The guy wanted $30 for a box, and said soon it may go up to $50 when Obama raises taxes on all ammo.
By hayes1966
I can understand that some firearm stores need to keep the prices on ammo a little higher but that is a joke.
By CTSixshot
They are in the business to make a profit, for sure. Can't really blame them, but it is tough competing against the big chains, no doubt.

For a price, you can usually find anything you want. $8.95 a box doesn't mean much, if they don't have a box.

For me, I think I'll just keep it simple and price pistol and rifle ammo on a per round price basis. 9x19 will be 22+ cents a round.

If you really find 9x19 impossible to acquire, bring your brass, primers, powder ( I have Red Dot, Unique and 231) and bullets down to New Haven and we can reload all you need.

(Can't make the QH shoot since my wife and I are heading in opposite directions with one car, so I'm here all day lubing .452 fodder...)
By hayes1966
I agree with the fact they need to make a profit .. but $30 for a box of 9mm Winchester white box .. that is gouging!
By nyalex98
And that was not even Winchester, last time i bought a box of Remington in Walmart about 2 month ago and found a cool looking round with a primer installed sideways, still have it.
By CTSixshot
nyalex98:

Lately, I've been buying bulk 95 grain JRN for 5 to 6 cents a piece and loading them in .38 Special. They're usually used in .380 ACP, but I find they work just fine for the plinking and plate shoots that I do.

These can be loaded in 9x19, as well, but I am fresh out of 19mm brass. I've loaded some and they work just fine, but real men cringe at shooting lightweight fodder in their monster nines, I guess. Ha ha ha!

Well...have to shut down since my wife is taking the laptop to NY. Sawasdee khup!
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nyalex98
CTSixshot wrote:

If you really find 9x19 impossible to acquire, bring your brass, primers, powder ( I have Red Dot, Unique and 231) and bullets down to New Haven and we can reload all you need.

[/color]
Thanks, CTSixshot.
Will a shooting range let me take some fired brass? I still feel uncomfortable paying for it. (found some on-line ~$0.05 a piece)
By CTSixshot
Best to ask before you help yourself. Some jealously guard their scrap; others: eehhh!

As a rule, you can police your brass and take it, but other brass is iffy. Offer a token amount and they may let you help yourself. If I can get a box of 50 mt's for a buck, I think it's worth it. Free is better, but those days are fast becoming history.

My offer to reload is genuine. I am shutting down soon so you'll have to call if you want to meet today (203 545 6669). I have WST also, but I am out of small pistol primers unfortunately, so I guess we're out of luck today anyways.
By hayes1966
If you find yourself short of 9mm brass drop me a note .. I might have a few spare pieces :lol:
By nyalex98
Ok i just came from Cabela's, no 9mm target ammo, only personal defense at $19+ for 20 rounds box.
So instead i bought a set of 9mm dies.
hayes1966, i do need some brass now. :wink:
By SigFan
nyalex98 wrote:The guy wanted $30 for a box, and said soon it may go up to $50 when Obama raises taxes on all ammo.
I've heard this quite a bit, but is there any evidence that he plans to do this? The desire to reinstate the AWB is a stated policy goal that's pretty well documented. Example,

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would... also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

Now, I'm not sure that the administration will actually do it. But that's another issue for another post thread. Point is, I've not seen anything indicating that the administration will specifically target ammunition. Does anybody have any documentation of the administration's intent to do this? Also, could something like this be done as an executive order or would it need to pass a majority in both chambers?
By nyalex98
I am just trying to understand why ammo is gone from shelves.
3 weeks ago I was at a good size gun show in Lakelands, FL hoping to bit the Wal-Mart prices (I was told so). I saw a case of 9mm 1000 rounds for $235. So on my way back to CT, I decided to stop at 3 WMTs in FL, one in GA, one in NC, and another in VA. Guess what I saw, same empty shelves. Only in NC I found some target .40s.
By CTSixshot
nyalex98:

Please tell me you didn't run to Florida just to find ammo! Ha ha!

I have the 95 grain JRN and some Hornady 147 grain XTPs. If I make it up to Autumn Gun Works, I guess I'll have small pistol primers, too, so we can do up some 9mm. You'll have to supply the brass and bullets of your choice if the above won't suffice ( I don't shoot 9x19; sold off what I had hanging around for the past year or two).

Get me while I'm unemployed...

...oh, we can make some rounds like in your avatar, if you want to! (The secret is to use a large grain/flake powder that won't slip through the flash hole! j/k!)
By nyalex98
CTSixshot,
Will the reloading make me unemployed too?
I was thinking to reload while at work.

P.S. My trip to FL was supposed to be a vacation... I went to a range in Orlando and they were out of ammo. 8O
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!