Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Information related to your local club.
By Robc54
My father and I got into shooting as a hobby last year and suffice it to say our interest in the sport has grown exponentially.

Our experience so far has been limited to hand gun target shooting over the past year, but we've been discussing the possibility of trying out skeet or trap. My question was whether there are any clubs or ranges locally that offer somewhat of an introduction to the sport.

We've found it a bit tricky for skeet/trap to locate a club or range that has somewhat of a new shooter friendly program for people not yet that experienced with shotguns.

There are no issues paying for a course or instruction, we just have not located any clubs or ranges that advertised an introduction to that aspect of the sport.

I stumbled across this site looking searching for information and posting here seemed like a good place to start.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
By CTSixshot
Don't know where you are located, but I'd think the Ansonia R&G Club, Hartford Gun Club (East Granby), Quaker Hill F&G and Bozrah F&G can help you out. These each seem to have trap shooting going on anytime I've been to these venues.
I know Bozrah's is open to the public (I think Wednesdays) and also try Wooster Mountain range in Danbury for public trap access. Also add Branford Gun Club (Red Hill Road), Meriden R&G and the NH Raccoon Club for trap. Don't quote me, but Ansonia, Hartford and QH have trap and skeet; can't vouch for the others.

Oh.... although neither trap nor skeet, Harwinton has a pistol/shotgun match happening this coming Sunday. See "Announcements".
By equality72521
The Pahquioque Club has an open trap shoot every Tuesday at Wooster Mountain in Danbury. I have not been there yet, but a friend who goes often says they are very welcoming of newcomers. A range officer will work with you and often other shooters will standby and mentor you as you learn - and it only costs the price of a round: $5. Or, $25 for an annual pass.

YMMV, but you could give it try.

http://www.pahquioque.com/
By JohnFH
Torrington Rod and Gun Club had a beginners open skeet/trap night last year, Wed I think
By Robc54
Thanks for the information!

My house is in Meriden and my father lives roughly 30 minutes north. The nice part about being relatively central in CT is I'm not overly far from any particular point but the drawback is not being overly close to a huge selection of grounds.

Hartford Gun Club had a very nice grounds. We were considering joining that club (it's a bit far for me, but doable) but wanted to actually try our hand at skeet/trap before we joined; the first year fee was pretty considerable.

We looked into Blue Trail but the impression we got was their shotgun field was literally just a big field. The Wallingford rod and gun club looks like a nice place. For fish and game clubs that typically require member sponsors is it considered bad form to cold call them? Do F&G clubs frown upon people who are mostly interested in just the shooting range to begin with?

Those may seem like relatively silly questions to people who've been involved with the clubs all their lives, but the old man and I are new comers.
By CTSixshot
I figured Hartford was up there in price. They seem to have the best shotgun facility of any club in the state.
For you, check the Meriden club just behind the Markham Airport. It's a smaller trap range, but the rates might be better. It's much closer, at least.
They usually have two open house events during the year. Look for info on the Fall "Cast & Blast event later in the year.
http://www.meridenrodandgunclub.com/

hayes1966 and JohnB are members there, I believe.
By Robc54
Yeah the HGC was ~750 for the first year (including initiation and sales tax) and 540/year recurring. Granted the grounds were great and the people were pretty friendly but before we looked at shelling out 1,500 dollars collectively we wanted to make sure that skeet and trap were something we'd really enjoy long term! The biggest pull for the place was the shotgun grounds; the pistol/rifle ranges were decent but not unique.

I'll have to check out all the suggestions. Thanks again for the info!
By CTSixshot
Robc54:
I've been informed, "HRG has trap shooting but not skeet and it is open to the public at a relatively low cost of 3 dollars a round. They shoot on Friday nights 5 pm until sunset and Sundays starting at 10am (unless a scheduled event). Membership is full and a waiting list is there but if they like the club they can apply."
http://harwintonrodandgun.com/trap.htm
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!