Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reports and information on local vendors.
By sjcolwell2
I am a member and two ranges East Windsor and Windsor I am in the process for changing to The Hartford Gun Club instead of East Windsor ( because its way closer to me ), I've found that yes it is way better of an atmosphere to shoot at. Also what you pay for a membership and most private clubs for the year is almost what you spend at a public range if you go two or three times ( Windosr $50 a year. East Windsor 95 ) . The only thing that u have to watch out for is those "Ricky Recon" types that thing they are cheif range safety officers , every club has one or two you wanna knock out from time to time but other than that, private clubs are the way to go.
By PaiN
I have to give a big thumbs up to WLOPA. It has so far been an excellent place to shoot out doors.
I'm also a member at the Torrington Gun Club which is another nice club. It is indoors only. Center/rim fire pistols, no rifles(except .22lr) and rounds must be under 1350fps.
Between the two, I pretty much always have a place to shoot.
By hayes1966
AGust82 wrote:Also, no restrictions on guests. Bring your wife, family, and friends all you want. no fees.
You are allowed to bring 2 guests.
By dgallag339
Wow that's too bad, during cold weather I usually get to Wolfe's a couple of Friday nights a month and never had an issue I have however had similar issues in Bridgeport but it was years ago and it may have changed. I do belong to a small club that has limited hours and is outdoors only but would have to agree with the person who gave the positives of club shooting I love going on a Sunday morning having a cup of coffee taking my time shooting the bull with other members.
By newguy
I like shooting outdoors unless it raining or snowing cold never bothered me if the Russians could hold off the Nazis in the middle of a Russian winter i can handle alittle afternoon of cold lol heavy jacket cuts down recoil too
By hayes1966
I go to Wolfs quiet often but have never had any problems. I tend to go first thing in the morning before the crowd gets there.
By sludwinjr
its not even the younger kids that annoyed me so much, its the kid that works there going around trying to shoot everyones gun and teach me and my wife "how to shoot" sneaking up behind me and bothering me. im all for meeting new people and letting them try my guns but man he was super annoying........

i think i may have to take a look at this place, been looking for a while......
whens a good time to take a look at this place
By SR9
sludwinjr wrote:went to the range in bristol with the wife. got there early and new it was gonna be busy. there was 2 young kids working the counter and while waiting in line a bunch of young kids come in with their backpacks and instantly get a range. so im standing there like WTF and the guy behind the counter obviously new them and rented 1 lane for like 10 kids.......so i figure screw this ill come back later. get there later and no wait, same 2 kids behind counter talking guns with a friend and it takes me 20 minutes to get signed in.
so me and the wife out shooting i get tapped on the shoulder by this kid that works there who looks straight out of fast and the furious and says to me"your shooting okay, but if you let me shoot your gun i can give you some pointers" so i get pissed and im like who the f*ck are you? get the hell away from me. about 15 minutes later he does the same to the wife.....are you serious? i corner him out in the store and light him up....

i mean really.....thats what it comes to now even at a range......im very easy going and i will let anyone i know or wifes friends shoot anything i have.....
i guess i need to fing a decent gun club thats close by....any ideas?
I had a very similar experience there. I never went back. That was a couple of years ago, I see they have not changed a bit.
By LTB45
myglimk2 wrote:
sludwinjr wrote:this place does sound sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is! Went there once with Mopar,nvisn, and LTB45. Great group of friendly people minus LTB45. :P
Ya that guy is a real a..hole! 8O

Jeff you made my day!
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

I spend most of my weekends there.
It is really a great club with real good people!
By LTB45
newguy wrote:I like shooting outdoors unless it raining or snowing cold never bothered me if the Russians could hold off the Nazis in the middle of a Russian winter i can handle alittle afternoon of cold lol heavy jacket cuts down recoil too
Even in the rain and snow, the pistol and rifle ports are covered.

Also as a member the ranges are open 7 days a week, another plus!
Most weekdays the ranges are pretty empty.
By sjcolwell2
Yeah clubs are the way to go. There is also the the free range in Glastonbury March - November ... Just make sure you call in advance... lol
By newguy
Ya i do my 2 times a month Freebie at the state range in Glastonbury. For something that free and done by the state it is really nicely setup and benches are extremely comfortable to shoot at. but your right call Monday morning between 9am and 9:15am or you won't get a spot
By sjcolwell2
You mean between 9 and 9:01 .... lol I used to shoot there when i just got my permit . It is a nice range. But I haven't been there in a while. I know that last summer they openned late , i guess they were looking for range officers to run the thing.
By newguy
Shoot if i had a range officers license i would have took one of those jobs at state range they were paying 13 bucks a hour would have been a easy 150 bucks a weekend after taxes I don't do much on the weekends anyways would have been easy money i could have just used to spend on more firearms lol
By sjcolwell2
newguy wrote:Shoot if i had a range officers license i would have took one of those jobs at state range they were paying 13 bucks a hour would have been a easy 150 bucks a weekend after taxes I don't do much on the weekends anyways would have been easy money i could have just used to spend on more firearms lol
Plus from what I hear if you took the job you were alound to stay and shoot afterwards.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!