Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
Two days ago, upon opening a box of Nutmeg 9mm, I found that one of the shells was a 9x18 Makarov case, loaded with a 115gr. bullet and likely the charge for a 9x19. Figuring the company should know about this, I gave them a call, and spoke to Dean Blair, the owner.

He apologized for the shell, and proceeded to explain what happened. Turns out one of the machines grabbed the case instead of letting it fall through.

Long story short, he asked me to bring the box of ammo in, & see for himself. I did, and after taking the offending bullet, he gave me a full box (50) of 9mm.

Sat & chatted with him a for a bit, and met a few of his employees. While they're an extremely small business, they are VERY good. SUPERB customer service, and not to mention I've found their ammunition more consistent than Federal Champion, for even LESS money.

If I had a problem with Federal, they would likely try to give me the runaround. These guys took care of it, and were exceptionally friendly. I would NOT hesitate to purchase any more of their ammunition, with customer service like that.

Excellent company, excellent product, SUPERB customer service, and good people all-round.
By Rbadbadger
that's all I ever bought for my pistol. 1000s of 9mm for 10 bucks a box? can't go wrong
By CTSixshot
GA:
I don't suppose they reload the .30-40 Krag, huh?
By GreggAndrews
I WISH.

Although CTSixshot Industries reloads some of the best ammunition. It's an extremely small workshop, with VERY limited staffing...

But I'll be damned if they don't churn out some of the most oddball calibers that people need... :wink:
GreggAndrews wrote:Two days ago, upon opening a box of Nutmeg 9mm, I found that one of the shells was a 9x18 Makarov case, loaded with a 115gr. bullet and likely the charge for a 9x19. Figuring the company should know about this, I gave them a call, and spoke to Dean Blair, the owner.

He apologized for the shell, and proceeded to explain what happened. Turns out one of the machines grabbed the case instead of letting it fall through.

Long story short, he asked me to bring the box of ammo in, & see for himself. I did, and after taking the offending bullet, he gave me a full box (50) of 9mm.

Sat & chatted with him a for a bit, and met a few of his employees. While they're an extremely small business, they are VERY good. SUPERB customer service, and not to mention I've found their ammunition more consistent than Federal Champion, for even LESS money.

If I had a problem with Federal, they would likely try to give me the runaround. These guys took care of it, and were exceptionally friendly. I would NOT hesitate to purchase any more of their ammunition, with customer service like that.

Excellent company, excellent product, SUPERB customer service, and good people all-round.
I came across this thread while looking for something else.

Dean Blair has an interesting history in the ammunition making business.

He was in charge of making ammunition at Delta Arsenal/ProArms down in Meriden CT.

He was thrown out because his ammunition would not chamber in customers guns, and the result was that Delta-ProArms lost an ongong contract with Stag Arms, and the ammunition part of the business... went out of the ammunition business.

A good friend of mine went to work at Delta about a year later, and found 1,600 pounds of returned 223 that would NOT chamber.

He got Delta back on their feet, but the business name was so badly damaged, that they couldn't sell ammunition anywhere in Connecticut.

I don't think finding a 9x18 Makarov case that is loaded like a 9mm Luger is "Excellent company, excellent product, SUPERB customer service"

An excellent company, with an excellent product, and "SUPERB" customer service consists of shipping out a solid product to begin with...

... not giving away a box of ammo (that cost less than the gasoline it took to pick it up) when they got caught shipping a defective product.

When you make and sell ammo, you are supposed to "inspect" the product before you sell it - Dean didn't inspect close to a ton of ammo in Meriden and put a company out of business, and he still hasn't learned his lesson.

By GreggAndrews
Browning, with all due respect, I'd have to ask you to provide actual evidence to substantiate that claim. I find it quite rude & utterly unprofessional to slander someone, when you have already shown me that you have virtually no clue exactly how Nutmeg Sporting Cartridge operates.

During my visit, I was treated VERY well, & the issue was handled promptly & professionally. I would not have received the same treatment if I had an issue with Federal, Remington, or Winchester.

As a commercial reloader, I take pride in my position. I do everything I can to provide the absolute best ammunition to the shooting community, and that includes actually inspecting our product (of which, you claim that we do not as fact). Our ammunition is visually inspected while loading it. Then, our ammunition is gauged, and then once again visually confirmed to be A-OK. It is unfortunate that a 9x18 slipped through. Then again, I have found 9x19 cases that were in fact SHORT 1mm, effectively making a 9x18 (Remington, Winchester & Federal's QC is fantastic... not!), of which are removed, although when squeezed through a die, are identical; functionally & aesthectically. To be more punctual, it would have chambered, fired, extracted & ejected as anything else would have at no risk to the shooter, or the firearm.

As with ANY manufacturing process, there always will be minor mistakes that once in awhile, slip through QC. Colt, Glock, Springfield, S&W, Stag, Noveske, BCM, POF, etc. all have sold absolute crap that "should've" been caught in QC. Federal, Winchester, Remington & others are every bit as guilty, if not more.

Again, I take pride in my work. Never would I put product out into the world that I would not shoot myself. I can confirm that my employer does as well. Customer service is at the absolute forefront of our business: I say that as an employee, and as someone who has dealt with Nutmeg at a consumer level.

I would quite certainly like to know what your credentials are, and the credentials of your "good friend". In no way am I trying to be snide or sarcastic, but before you slander not only my employer, but a friend as well, I would surely appreciate cited sources.

-Andrew
By Browning-GP
GreggAndrews wrote:Browning, with all due respect, I'd have to ask you to provide actual evidence to substantiate that claim. I find it quite rude & utterly unprofessional to slander someone, when you have already shown me that you have virtually no clue exactly how Nutmeg Sporting Cartridge operates.

During my visit, I was treated VERY well, & the issue was handled promptly & professionally. I would not have received the same treatment if I had an issue with Federal, Remington, or Winchester.

As a commercial reloader, I take pride in my position. I do everything I can to provide the absolute best ammunition to the shooting community, and that includes actually inspecting our product (of which, you claim that we do not as fact). Our ammunition is visually inspected while loading it. Then, our ammunition is gauged, and then once again visually confirmed to be A-OK. It is unfortunate that a 9x18 slipped through. Then again, I have found 9x19 cases that were in fact SHORT 1mm, effectively making a 9x18 (Remington, Winchester & Federal's QC is fantastic... not!), of which are removed, although when squeezed through a die, are identical; functionally & aesthectically. To be more punctual, it would have chambered, fired, extracted & ejected as anything else would have at no risk to the shooter, or the firearm.

As with ANY manufacturing process, there always will be minor mistakes that once in awhile, slip through QC. Colt, Glock, Springfield, S&W, Stag, Noveske, BCM, POF, etc. all have sold absolute crap that "should've" been caught in QC. Federal, Winchester, Remington & others are every bit as guilty, if not more.

Again, I take pride in my work. Never would I put product out into the world that I would not shoot myself. I can confirm that my employer does as well. Customer service is at the absolute forefront of our business: I say that as an employee, and as someone who has dealt with Nutmeg at a consumer level.

I would quite certainly like to know what your credentials are, and the credentials of your "good friend". In no way am I trying to be snide or sarcastic, but before you slander not only my employer, but a friend as well, I would surely appreciate cited sources.

-Andrew
First, it is not slander if it is true. What I said is true.

My friend is a class 06 commercial loader - he designs Schlieren optical systems and shadowgraph systems, and did research at Columbia University in the ballistics of small particles in Helium atmospheres. He advised Patrick Ryan (of Redding-Reloading) of problems with their bushing dies - he knows his stuff and is well respected in his field.

He is the one that had to pick up the pieces and clean up the mess that Dean left at ProArms, in Meriden.

I PM'ed you his email address - contact him for further information.

If you think I am wrong, ask Dean what happened at ProArms. Ask Dean why ProArms lost the Stag Arms contract, and why they can't sell ammunition any more...

... or call Delta Arsenal in Meriden, who owned ProArms and ask the owner what happened when Dean worked there.

When my friend started there, he invited me to come down - the place was a chaotic garbage dump.

By Browning-GP

When I first ran across your opening comments, I replied to them "at face value", meaning that I assumed that you were a customer that bought a box of "shells" with a defect, and went to the manufacturer to return the defective "shell", and "meet the guys"... I mean, after all, that's how you presented yourself in the opening post.

(see bolded comments.)

GreggAndrews wrote:Two days ago, upon opening a box of Nutmeg 9mm, I found that one of the shells was a 9x18 Makarov case, loaded with a 115gr. bullet and likely the charge for a 9x19. Figuring the company should know about this, I gave them a call, and spoke to Dean Blair, the owner.

But I thought about how aggressively you defended Dean and Nutmeg, and that is not what the average customer would do...

... so took a few moments and reread your original post, and your caustic reply to me, defending Nutmeg - and again, I wondered why you were so vehement in your defense of them, and so aggressive towards me.

Then the light went on.

You work for Nutmeg - and your post was a phony. You're a shill. I think if your post was on TV, it would be called a "promo" or infomercial.

-----
GreggAndrews wrote:
1 - During my visit, I was treated VERY well, & the issue was handled promptly & professionally. I would not have received the same treatment if I had an issue with Federal, Remington, or Winchester.
(Your visit??? You work there!!!))

2 - As a commercial reloader, I take pride in my position. I do everything I can to provide the absolute best ammunition to the shooting community, and that includes actually inspecting our product (of which, you claim that we do not as fact).
The "We" betrays you, Andrew.
3 - Our ammunition is visually inspected while loading it. Then, our ammunition is gauged, and then once again visually confirmed to be A-OK. It is unfortunate that a 9x18 slipped through.
(I would insert here, that with that inspection process, it would impossible for a bad "shell" to get through - a short case would be caught at the gauging stage)

(I'm not sure what you mean by "To be more punctual,"... punctual means to be more "on time", like getting to work on time)
4 - Again, I take pride in my work. Never would I put product out into the world that I would not shoot myself. I can confirm that my employer does as well. Customer service is at the absolute forefront of our business: I say that as an employee, and as someone who has dealt with Nutmeg at a consumer level.
Tell me something - how do you deal with your own employer at a consumer level - do you buy Nutmeg ammo at Hoffman's as a consumer, and find a bad "shell", then return it to the company as a consumer, get a tour of the shop, get to meet the guys...
... then go home, change your clothes, and go back to nutmeg as an employee??

If you work in customer relations, and you come in to return something as a customer, do you talk to yourself about it.
In no way am I trying to be snide or sarcastic, but before you slander not only my employer, but a friend as well, I would surely appreciate cited sources.

-Andrew
Cited sources??? I cite this whole strange thread.

You are a shill for Nutmeg, your first post is a fraudulent lie, and you have a split personality.

And this thread sums up what is wrong with Nutmeg, and Dean Blair - they are both about sloppy ammunition, BS, and fake posts on forums.

... Browning-GP :lol:

By GreggAndrews
Browning-GP wrote:.

When I first ran across your opening comments, I replied to them "at face value", meaning that I assumed that you were a customer that bought a box of "shells" with a defect, and went to the manufacturer to return the defective "shell", and "meet the guys"... I mean, after all, that's how you presented yourself in the opening post.

(see bolded comments.)

But I thought about how aggressively you defended Dean and Nutmeg, and that is not what the average customer would do...

... so took a few moments and reread your original post, and your caustic reply to me, defending Nutmeg - and again, I wondered why you were so vehement in your defense of them, and so aggressive towards me.

Then the light went on.

You work for Nutmeg - and your post was a phony. You're a shill. I think if your post was on TV, it would be called a "promo" or infomercial.

-----
GreggAndrews wrote:
1 - During my visit, I was treated VERY well, & the issue was handled promptly & professionally. I would not have received the same treatment if I had an issue with Federal, Remington, or Winchester.
(Your visit??? You work there!!!))

2 - As a commercial reloader, I take pride in my position. I do everything I can to provide the absolute best ammunition to the shooting community, and that includes actually inspecting our product (of which, you claim that we do not as fact).
The "We" betrays you, Andrew.
3 - Our ammunition is visually inspected while loading it. Then, our ammunition is gauged, and then once again visually confirmed to be A-OK. It is unfortunate that a 9x18 slipped through.
(I would insert here, that with that inspection process, it would impossible for a bad "shell" to get through - a short case would be caught at the gauging stage)

(I'm not sure what you mean by "To be more punctual,"... punctual means to be more "on time", like getting to work on time)
4 - Again, I take pride in my work. Never would I put product out into the world that I would not shoot myself. I can confirm that my employer does as well. Customer service is at the absolute forefront of our business: I say that as an employee, and as someone who has dealt with Nutmeg at a consumer level.
Tell me something - how do you deal with your own employer at a consumer level - do you buy Nutmeg ammo at Hoffman's as a consumer, and find a bad "shell", then return it to the company as a consumer, get a tour of the shop, get to meet the guys...
... then go home, change your clothes, and go back to nutmeg as an employee??

If you work in customer relations, and you come in to return something as a customer, do you talk to yourself about it.
In no way am I trying to be snide or sarcastic, but before you slander not only my employer, but a friend as well, I would surely appreciate cited sources.

-Andrew
Cited sources??? I cite this whole strange thread.

You are a shill for Nutmeg, your first post is a fraudulent lie, and you have a split personality.

And this thread sums up what is wrong with Nutmeg, and Dean Blair - they are both about sloppy ammunition, BS, and fake posts on forums.

... Browning-GP :lol:

Before you fly off the handle, this post was originally made LONG before I became employed by Nutmeg. I detailed my EXPERIENCE dealing with Nutmeg as a consumer, once again, long, long ago. As a CUSTOMER, I was 110% satisfied with how I was treated.

Anyway, I have my suspicions about your "good friend" (of whom I can confirm is not only less-than professional, but quite rude & arrogant as well), and yourself. Neither of which will come to light here. You may consider that as a gratuity, considering what you have said (and your lack of education on the matter) leads me to the conclusion that I have drawn.

I will not continue to entertain your warrantless insults & unsubstantiated, outrageous claims any further. Unfortunately, it seems that you have a bone to pick with my employer & the company itself. I do not know why, and that is your personal business.

You have shown me that you are childish & rude. Thank you for the interesting dialogue & information.
By myglimk2
Play nice guys!
By GreggAndrews
myglimk2 wrote:Play nice guys!
Hey, I'm tryin'!!! :wink:
By myglimk2
I know. :lol:

Heated debates are fine, I just don't wanna see name calling or personal insults. Just a fair reminder. :P
By BigJonBoy
I found a round with a cracked/split case in a box of 9mm nutmeg a few weeks ago. I thought it strange that they hand inspect every round and this one got through. I will gladly email pictures to any who wouldlike to see it... I like nutmeg and will continue to buy, I just know now to inspect before firing...
By GreggAndrews
BigJonBoy, please give our office a call tomorrow:

860-379-2938

If you could e-mail pictures to me as well, that would be fantastic. I'd just like to see the orientation of the split. We do inspect each round, and I am very curious as to how it got through.

[email protected]

Thanks, and my apologies for the inconvenience.

-Andrew
By BigJonBoy
No inconvenience man. Ill will email the pics later on this evening. Have a good day. :lol:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!