News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Hand-to-hand: Okay, let's get serious.

Training related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Hand-to-hand: Okay, let's get serious.

Postby GreggAndrews » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:08 am

I've established myself fairly well in boxing, I'd honestly like to get back into it at some point, however I find myself lacking both sparring partners, and safe areas to do so.

Likewise, I have always wanted to give other martial arts a legitimate try, however I've found that more often than not "professional" instructors are in fact, buffoons.

So, with this in mind... I'm trying to choose a path. I'm willing to give Krav Maga a legitimate try, although any suggestions are always welcome.

I'm no stranger to bumps, scrapes, lacerations, contusions, broken noses/ribs/fingers/egos... as long as the training is worthwhile.
:)

Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

snakeeater332
Sharpshooter I
Sharpshooter I

Postby snakeeater332 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 am

Over the years I've studied several combat arts... In High School, I wrestled for 3 years and learned Boxing at the YMCA. In college, I briefly studied Shorin Ryu, Washin Ryu, and Tae Kwon Do. I also started Aikido and Aikijitsu, both of which I continued for 8 years. About 7 years ago, I began studying Krav Maga for about 3 1/2 years. I really liked Krav Maga, but stopped going when my daughter was born, due to time and money.

I haven't really got back it since then, only on and off again at times, but if I did, I'd definitely go back to Krav Maga.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER / ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM<br><br>People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.  -  George Orwell

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 am

Where is Krav Maga taught in CT ?
The Destroyer has arrived

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

snakeeater332
Sharpshooter I
Sharpshooter I

Postby snakeeater332 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I used to train with Tom Bacha at his places in Naugatuck and New Haven (which is now closed). He currently has locations in Naugatuck, West Haven, and Stamford:
http://www.kravmagasite.com/
DE OPPRESSO LIBER / ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM<br><br>People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.  -  George Orwell

snakeeater332
Sharpshooter I
Sharpshooter I

Postby snakeeater332 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:52 pm

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks Andy!

Any idea if this stuff is full contact or not? I don't mind a busted nose or concussion as long as I learn something!

If it don't hurt, you ain't learnin'! :P
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Hddreamer
Admin
Admin

Postby Hddreamer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 am

you can also try the fighting fitness in orange ,ct there right on the boston post road
instructors name is john spehar
its worth lookin into

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 am

Thanks for the info snake
The Destroyer has arrived

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

snakeeater332
Sharpshooter I
Sharpshooter I

Postby snakeeater332 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 am

No problem PaiN and GreggAndrews!

Hddreamer, I wasn't aware of the place on Orange. Thanks! I'm sure that there's a bunch of other places where Krav Maga is being taught other than the one's I listed. It has become quite popular recently.

GreggAndrews, when I trained in Krav, we did spar for some of the class with those UFC-type padded but fingerless gloves, but not at complete full speed. We did more bag and pad work than sparring, though.

Return to “Training”