Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
I know New York handgun laws are oppressive, but I also understand USC 18-926A protects my right (kind of) to interstate transport.
I know 4-5 years ago non-New York residents were getting jammed up at JFK trying to fly with their handguns in their checked luggage.
I just called the Port Authority police and talked to a Detective. I asked him specifically about flying out of JFK with a checked handgun. He said it was fine so long as it was packed according to TSA standards (locked), ammunition was separate and that I had a valid CT state permit on me. He also stated that when the uniformed patrol officer came over to check my weapon and paperwork I specifically needed to state that I was “in transit” and that I had come directly from CT to the airport, and not stopped anywhere in NY on the way.

Anyone try this recently?? I have to fly out to Front Sight in Nevada in April, and I booked a flight from JFK before I really understood the implications...
Not sure if I’m willing to "take one for the team" to find out… :D
By hayes1966
Just one issue .. how do you get the gun to JFK since you need a permit to carry in NY. I know the NRA took this issue to the courts a number of years back when one of their head guys got stranded in NY on a cross over flight that was canceled.
By equality72521
That’s the rub, isn’t it? Supposedly you need a NY permit to simply transport (not carry about the person). NY does not issue permits to non-residents, so by NY law, you’re technically not supposed to even be able to transport. This is in direct conflict with USC 18-926A and there have been court battles fought and won in this regard. There’s even a letter from the Justice Department on the NRA’s website that sides with handgun owners in its interpretation of USC 18-926A. The problem is, New York is very fickle when it comes to enforcing its “disrespect” of the Federal Interstate Transport law. I guess very recently they’ve become more lenient, but it depends on who you ask, because you get conflicting information. I bet if I called back the Port Authority Police in a few weeks (and I will), I might get a different answer depending on who’s on duty. If I show up at JFK I might breeze through. OR...I could get an officer having a bad day and they decide to give me the run around, simply letting me have my day in court to figure it out. While I trust a court would side with me so long as I’m following the letter of Federal Law and am “in transit”, do I still want the hassle? I’m just not sure it’s worth the risk…
I have a rental gun waiting for me at Front Sight when I go, so if I decide not to transport, I’ll be OK, but it sure would be nice to train with my own weapon.
By djmiked
I don't know the answer to your question in all honesty I have heard conflicting stories.

Which Frontsight course are you taking? Is this your first time there?
By CTSixshot
Perhaps some Front Sight staff or CT students can offer the straight dope on this matter. Call them for their insights perhaps. I'd think they would offer some CT residents as testimonial spokesmen.

Often I've thought about carrying to Thailand, but that involves permission from the Thai consulate and others at the destination end of things. I'm sure it's possible, but I just am not up to speed on the specifics.

Good luck.
By equality72521
I've never been to Front Sight, this will be my first time. Taking the 4 Day Defensive Handgun course.
I've decided it's not worth the uncertainty or the risk. This time I will probably use a Front Sight rental weapon. Next time I will probably ship my weapon to myself out there, which is what it seems a lot of folks do.

As strict as CT handgun laws are, we’re an island of reasonableness in a sea of 2nd Amendment chaos...namely, NY, MA, and NJ.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!