News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Federal Crime?

Laws regarding firearms on the national level.

Moderators: Mopar, Moderators

User avatar
MessEleven
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

Postby MessEleven » Thu May 10, 2012 11:25 am

nvisn wrote:
MessEleven wrote:
Frankly, that sounds like CCDL lore to me.


Care to clarify that?


Nothing more than the notion everyone naturally walks around in an open carry state simply because we have the right to do so. They (we) don't. And it was a response to dismissing my error with "Sounds like more gun store lore..." I would bet dollars to donuts most (not many) folks with permits think the same about carrying into a bank. If you doubt that, simply google "carry a gun into a bank," and see how many times that's asked. I suppose I should have done that in the first place.

Look, it was a simple question in the OP because I incorrectly assumed banks were governed by the Feds. That's all.



User avatar
Rich_B
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 am
Contact:

Postby Rich_B » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 am

MessEleven wrote:Nothing more than the notion everyone naturally walks around in an open carry state simply because we have the right to do so. They (we) don't.


Are we now talking about the legality of 'walking around'?

And it was a response to dismissing my error with "Sounds like more gun store lore..."


But that is the case, much like the gun store lore about how people who carry unconcealed 'frighten the sheep' and 'get thrown to the ground' or 'get the SWAT team called'. I hear it all day and do my best to correct it. Just like we did for you.

I would bet dollars to donuts most (not many) folks with permits think the same about carrying into a bank.


If we used that as any kind of indicator, you be scared and embarrassed at the amount of bad information out there.

If you doubt that, simply google "carry a gun into a bank," and see how many times that's asked. I suppose I should have done that in the first place.


Ok.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carry+gun+in+bank

First two hits:

http://www.ohioccw.org/201004104848/ohi ... ately.html

http://www.bankingquestions.com/scamsfraud/q_gun.html
Connecticut Carry - Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.<br><br>Get in the fight!<br><a href="http://ctcarry.com/">http://ctcarry.com</a>

User avatar
MessEleven
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

Postby MessEleven » Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 pm


Not sure what point you're making. Like I said, I should have done this first. My reference to google was to illustrate the sheer number of times the question is asked. Whether or not a volume of bad information is out there has very little to do with this one understandable misconception that banks are under the aegis of the Feds.

That said, you're being a tad optimistic from a practical standpoint, that openly carrying in a bank will be accepted with equally open arms. It's tough enough to carry concealed these days.

User avatar
Rich_B
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 am
Contact:

Postby Rich_B » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 pm

MessEleven wrote:That said, you're being a tad optimistic from a practical standpoint, that openly carrying in a bank will be accepted with equally open arms. It's tough enough to carry concealed these days.


I have no idea what you are talking about. I have carried openly regularly since 2010, and the only place I had significant trouble was a pool hall.

http://withregardstorights.com

By manner of empirical evidence, I know that when I have carried openly in a bank, there was no trouble. I also know several other people who carry openly into banks and everywhere else they go with no difficulty.

Do you have some evidence of anything to the contrary?

What is 'tough' about concealing a firearm these days? If anything, carrying concealed is getting drastically easier by the day...
Connecticut Carry - Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.<br><br>Get in the fight!<br><a href="http://ctcarry.com/">http://ctcarry.com</a>

User avatar
MessEleven
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

Postby MessEleven » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Rich_B wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have carried openly regularly since 2010, and the only place I had significant trouble was a pool hall.

http://withregardstorights.com

By manner of empirical evidence, I know that when I have carried openly in a bank, there was no trouble. I also know several other people who carry openly into banks and everywhere else they go with no difficulty.

Do you have some evidence of anything to the contrary?

What is 'tough' about concealing a firearm these days? If anything, carrying concealed is getting drastically easier by the day...

I find it odd that you would present that link in the same post telling me that carrying is a piece of cake. And what evidence do I have to the contrary regarding carrying openly in a bank? That first google response makes it pretty clear that not all financial institutions are too wild about the idea.

You're preaching to a believer in terms of 2nd Amendment rights. But if openly carrying into a bank or other sensitive (but legal) area is your thing for whatever reason - comfort, style, function, making a statement - then God bless you. It's not my thing...life's too short even for the possibility of being detained, and I carry concealed every day of my life.

User avatar
Rich_B
Sharpshooter III
Sharpshooter III
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 am
Contact:

Postby Rich_B » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 pm

MessEleven wrote:I find it odd that you would present that link in the same post telling me that carrying is a piece of cake.


How does my link demonstrate that carrying is difficult? In two years of regular open carry I was arrested once (the first documented time since Goldberg) and it is being litigated in Federal court right now, and I was detained once.

Where is all the open carry flak?

Also, how does this demonstrate anything about concealed carry becoming more and more difficult? I am still confused by your statement.

And what evidence do I have to the contrary regarding carrying openly in a bank? That first google response makes it pretty clear that not all financial institutions are too wild about the idea.


And those places have the right to put up a sign and ban it on their property. Places that do not ban firearms on their property are usually assumed to be neutral on the situation. Considering the people walking in and out of banks everyday state and nationwide with firearms concealed and unconcealed without issue, what is your point?

But if openly carrying into a bank or other sensitive (but legal) area is your thing for whatever reason - comfort, style, function, making a statement - then God bless you. It's not my thing...life's too short even for the possibility of being detained, and I carry concealed every day of my life.


Well that would be the point of having a choice and why I have not tried to influence you to carry unconcealed or disparaged your choice of carry.
Connecticut Carry - Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.<br><br>Get in the fight!<br><a href="http://ctcarry.com/">http://ctcarry.com</a>


Return to “National Legislation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests