Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By CTSixshot
Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to the Inter-American Convention Against Illicit Manufacture of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives and Other Related Materials. I am sorry that we see this issue from different points of view.

The United States government has taken the position that illicit trafficking in small arms and light weapons poses the greatest threat to regional security in less developed areas of the world undergoing civil strife. The first element of U.S. policy is to attempt to curb black market or unauthorized transfers of small arms to zones of conflict, terrorists, international criminal organizations, and drug traffickers. The second is to attempt to increase the arms export standards of other nations to U.S. standards. The third is to streamline and strengthen U.S. export procedures to improve accountability without interfering with the legal trade in, and transfer of, arms. The fourth is to support the destruction of excess stockpiles of small arms, particularly in regions where conflicts have ended.

I have long believed the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States guarantees law-abiding Americans the right to own a gun, and I will continue to uphold this belief. However, like every other constitutional right, it is not unlimited in all circumstances.

Gun crime remains a critical public safety problem. For too long, it has divided Congress; and the American people have been left to suffer the consequences. However, the reality is that many Americans agree on most of the critical questions: that the laws on the books should be enforced, the rights of law-abiding gun owners should be protected but unnecessarily dangerous weapons banned, and guns should be kept out of the hands of those who cannot use them responsibly. This treaty ensures the safe purchase and distribution of firearms to protect American citizens and to reduce crime at home and around the world.

Please be assured that I will not compromise on my support of your Second Amendment Rights. However, this treaty encompasses measures and policies that will curb the illicit trade of small arms and weapons around the world. As we fight the global war on terror, we must ensure that these weapons do not end up in the hands of terrorists.

Thank you again for sharing your views and concerns with me. I hope you will continue to visit my website at http://lieberman.senate.gov for updated news about my work on behalf of Connecticut and the nation. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or comments about our work in Congress.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman
UNITED STATES SENATOR

JIL:tcs
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]