Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By jamesb
Just wanted to say I sent an email combined of two previous letters posted on another forum as well as made a few tweaks myself. It is below if you want to use it or futher change it. I urge you to contact your reps and let your voice be heard!

Email Subject was: Stand up for our Rights!
Dear Elected Official,

In the wake of the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary School there is a great out cry for justice and change. I am heartbroken by these events. In the days following the horrific acts of a deranged criminal, our nation has turned on itself. It reminds me of the day that followed 9/11. Our entire nation mourned and cried. In those days, there too was an out crying for justice. The difference then was that as a nation we did not turn on the Muslim community. We did not blame the many for the acts of the few. This time is no different. We as a nation must not turn on ourselves. We must not take sections of our society and demonize them and punish them. Our freedoms and our liberty are what help to make our country great. I hope that you will think long and hard about the legislation that you choose to support. We must not pass laws that will be broad and undefined. We must remember to focus on the individuals of these heinous acts and not target large groups. Lawful responsible gun owners are still the same citizens that they were before this tragedy. Stop blaming the tool used and start making the person who committed the act responsible. If a drunk driver kills people we do not start blaming the vehicle maker, nor do we try to ban automobiles.

I can no longer stand silent on the issue of gun control in the State of Connecticut. I believe the recently proposed firearm and ammunition legislation is unconstitutional, and that the measures are purely cosmetic. I am asking you to resist pushing through measures written by the anti-gun factions in this state and resist passing legislation that would ban magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds, banning so called "assault weapons", imposing a tax of 50% on ammunition and magazines, and prohibiting the online purchase of ammunition. First and foremost, the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights gives me the right to own firearms, and it expressly states this right shall not be infringed. A new AWB and a 50% tax on ammunition/magazines is clearly an infringement of my rights, and I refuse to be complicit in enacting such heinous legislation by not speaking up.

There are a great many laws that are in place that need to be enforced. I ask that as you take part in the planning and voting of the legislation that will be crossing your desk that you remember to respect the will of law-abiding citizens of the United States of America, it is imperative that you not infringe on our right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the United States Constitution written by the Founding Fathers. It is your responsibility as our elected official to dutifully represent the will of The People, correctly interpret The United States Constitution, and diligently reflect on court cases throughout our proud history as you draft the way-ahead to curb gun violence.

There are approximately 65 million gun owners in the United States who enjoy the protection of our Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment protects their right and the right of every citizen to legally own and operate guns. This right has been protected in courts over the course of a hundred plus years. Broad sweeping bans and taxes do not target the unlawful, but instead punish the good and just. Let us move forward in a way that will not create prejudice and segregate sections of our society that have expressed their great loyalty to our nation. As a law-abiding citizen of this great land, it must be said that the focus should rest upon education and the enforcement of current laws.

I am tired of living in a state and a country where ONE bad person ruins something for EVERYONE. You can't legislate for the lone wolf, mentally disturbed individual. Stop trying to take away my rights and the rights of other law abiding citizens - we have followed the letter of the law when it comes to firearm ownership and have done nothing wrong. While recent events in CT have been tragic, it is important to remember that the gun is only a tool. This tool can be used for evil, but it can also be used for good. The statistics show that over 1 million people a year use firearms to prevent violent attacks, rapes, car jackings, home invasions, and robberies. Do not be the person who takes away our right to self defense and my ability to defend my family. Stand up for the constitution and do the right thing - do not introduce this new anti-self defense legislation that professes to be "common sense legislation to stop gun violence". I ask that you have some common sense and focus on the real issue, mental health. Bans do not work. We banned alcohol and that only made crime go up, and people still had access to booze. We've banned marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine’s, ecstasy and a slew of other drugs for years, and have nothing to show for the "ban" except wasted taxpayer money and the militarization of our police force. Simply put, bans don't work because the criminals ignore them while law abiding citizens get the short end of the stick.

Reflect on our gun laws and future bills thoughtfully, as the consequences of your decisions will affect the civil rights of every inhabitant within our United States of America. As a constituent, I can make this promise to you…I will donate time and money for campaigns in every upcoming election. I will donate time and money to participate in every grass roots effort to defend the Second Amendment. I will donate time and money to pursue every legal course of action against those who attempt to infringe on my right to keep and bear arms.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Respectfully,
See below for a list of emails to send a letter to.

http://ctshooting.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=8455
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!