Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By GreggAndrews
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

In the second & third paragraphs, it would *seem* that the possession of a pre-1899 firearm is non-restricted.

This being said it's an ULTRA-GRAY area... but under such mitigating circumstances, a handgun manufactured prior to 1899 is legal to own & even carry without ANY licensure?

Okay. So a modern cap n' ball repro is technically a "deadly weapon capable of expelling a projectile", but pre-1899 manufacture cartridge handguns are okay?

Is there something I'm not getting here?
By JohnFH
Yes, you are not getting that "Antique Firearms" , those actually made before 1899, are exempt under Federal Law.

No grey area to see here, we can move along.
By Mopar
I think the "grey area" comes from CT state law.
By GreggAndrews
Okay, but here's my beef with "carrying" one of these pieces.

In CT, a device which can expel a projectile is considered a "Deadly Weapon"... yes, this includes slingshots.

So in this event, while there are NO restrictions on "Antique" status handguns, they become mere objects; however they are still able to fling a projectile with lethal force.

They're saying you can carry one... but in the mechanical sense, not. You can carry an antique gun without a permit, but you can't carry a device that can throw a projectile of any kind (Dangerous/Deadly instruments).

Not quite sure what to think.
By GreggAndrews
CT Laws are almost always confusing, I'll say that much.

From what I'm reading though, it's almost as though antique handguns are exempted from the "dangerous/deadly weapons" clause...

I'm... not sure. By this logic, I would legally be able to carry an old Iver Johnson (or ilk) without fear of reprimand.

I read about a fellow who purchased an old Colt Thunderer, fitted a modern cylinder to it, along with modern internals & carried that. Got caught, didn't get in trouble. I personally would rather not test the waters without approval from an attorney.

More people would push to legalize marijuana & other narcotics, rather than allow a legal adult carry a legally obtained handgun. Oh wait, guns are the cause of crime, & marijuana NEVER causes crime... ever. Totally dude. :!:
By nvisn
GreggAndrews wrote:
More people would push to legalize marijuana & other narcotics, rather than allow a legal adult carry a legally obtained handgun. Oh wait, guns are the cause of crime, & marijuana NEVER causes crime... ever. Totally dude. :!:
It would also be fair to say that those that pushing for the legalization of drugs only do so for the enjoyment of adults. So it than falls to what is an adult?

If you are able to pick up a gun and fight for your country in war, you should have the same rights for your own behalf.
By Stieg
I might add that CT may believe that the pre 1899 firearms are hard to find and OLD. So being that they are OLD and not NEW there is a chance they will not function, ammunition will be hard to find, and there is not many to be found.
A NEW reproduction black powder will fire and from what I have seen a bit better in accuracy. Last I knew, if you had a black powdered pistol, you were able to carry it without a license. Did they change that? Guess they must have if you are asking.
By JohnFH
Oh wait, guns are the cause of crime, & marijuana NEVER causes crime... ever. Totally dude.
Actually both guns and marijuana are inanimate objects, people commit crimes.

The requirements to posess a muzzle loaded rifle or pistol have not changed, you must be 18 or over.
By GreggAndrews
Muzzleloading handguns & rifles are a no-brainer: non-gun = treated as any other object.

My issue stems from... if I purchased a Colt Thunderer, or Iver Johnson made prior to 1899, that I would "technically" be legal to carry it without a problem.

Stieg, where modern black powder revolvers lie, is in the "Dangerous/Deadly Weapons" category. While it isn't a "gun", it still can expel a projectile... making it a deadly weapon (and for all intents & purposes, it is). Same as carrying a knife that's a little too long, etc.

Antique Cartridge guns. While it may be legal for someone without a permit to own one... is it necessarily legal to carry one? My main question here is, do they technically fall under the "Deadly weapons" clause, or are they completely exempted (as the statute would lead me to believe)?

(I made the pot jab, only for the fact that the mindset of those who create the laws is... skewed, to say the least. Something that is already illegal, & has been proven to be harmful to your health is held in higher regard to an item which is already legal, constitutionally guaranteed, & does not alter your state of consciousness.)
By GreggAndrews
nvisn: +1000.

If you're an adult, you're an adult. 18 was the age set in stone LONG ago, and it should be upheld.
By GreggAndrews
Well, now that I've got it purty much in B&W... I intend on finding a 1st or 2nd model Iver Johnson to tinker with.

Hey, if I blow it up I can always go out and buy another. They're cheap!!! :P
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!