Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By fprintf
I read on http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm that it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon and in a place accessible from the passenger compartment. I have recently heard from three separate people that it is OK to carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle as long as it is on my person.

To date I always carry my handgun in the trunk in a separate locked container from the ammunition (which is either in the glove box or a separate container in the trunk). However it kind of defeats the purpose of CCW if I have to take it out of my holster and put it into the trunk, exposing it, potentially alarming someone, and therefore putting myself at risk for a violation.

So, is it legal to carry my handgun with ammunition in the magazine, not necessarily with one in the chamber, in my car in CT? I am a CT permit holder.
By DINK
The OLR report (which is less than clear on this subject) is referring to "transporting" a handgun in a vehicle, not carrying it, which seems stupid but actually is an important distinction to make. If you have a permit, you are "carrying" a handgun and you can carry it loaded, with one up the spout, on you whether or not you are in your car.

If you don't have a permit, you can't carry (loaded), but there are a number of situations in which it is legal for you to "transport" a handgun. An example is when you move from one home to another and you might have a handgun in your household goods. If you are transporting, the handgun must be unloaded and inaccessable. This is actually a hold-over from the days pre-94 when you could purchase a handgun without having a permit. As the years go by, there are fewer and fewer folks out there that bought their handguns that way and only kept them in the home for self-defense.

The statute that covers this is Sec. 29-35.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap529. ... 29-37a.htm

Hope this helps.
By fprintf
Thank you very much, this clears it up very concisely!
By Durham68
I called the DPS firearms unit a while back with a similar question and couldn't get a clear answer.

I asked if there was any legislation regarding the storage of a firearm in a locked vehicle. The response from the officer was "do you know what people do with those guns if they are stolen?" I asked again and she said she knew of no legislation regarding the issue.

Another issue: Anyone know if I can legally keep my pistol within reach in my car, but not on my person if I am in the vehicle? I do have a permit.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!