Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By guinness126
Hi there!

I know that when I applied for my pistol permit in Middletown, it took a looooooooong time (or maybe it just seemed like a very long time) to actually receive it. I also know that they not only called the people who gave me recommendations, but they ALSO called neighbors who were adjacent to me (some of whom have no idea who I even AM, as we live in a semi-large apartment complex; others who are certified schizophrenic, and proud of that fact) without my permission/knowing until one of them knocked on our door and ASKED, "Hey, Sarah...are you really going to get your pistol permit?"

My husband has since applied for his permit (I was the guinea pig). We have not heard from the local police department regarding his permit as of yet (it's been 6 weeks). I had filled out one of his reference letters that are "strongly suggested, but not required". I have not yet received a call from anyone at the police department, asking about his "good character".

My question(s): Are they still religiously calling the references to check? Has anyone ever been denied a pistol permit that you know of? If they are going to deny someone, do they notify you?
By equality72521
Sadly, CT is still a "May Issue" state. They are reasonable about it, but the final decision is still up the discretion of your local PD. Each local jurisdiction also has it's own process and they can choose how to apply it on a case-by-case basis. Looks like your application either spooked someone and they wanted to check extra well, or someone handed the check off to a rookie who wanted to "be thorough". The local PD does not need your permission to contact neighbors and that's something you should expect them to do.
However, in order to be denied they have to have a really good reason. Just because your schizo neighbor might have spouted off about you threatening him with a butcher knife won't immediately disqualify your application...they may dig deeper first. If they deny you I believe they are required to notify you because you're supposed to be able to bring it in front of the arbitration panel for appeal.
But in the end, 6 weeks is not that long to be waiting. I've heard of people waiting 4 months before hearing back because of the uptick in demand. Sorry, but I think the answer is: "Just wait longer".
By djmiked
The only way to actually get them to adhere to the law is for someone to sue a PD for not doing it in the required time frame. Until there is an actual case on the books (assuming the plaintiff won) then all of the PD's would follow the law closer or the state legislator would change the time frame of the law so that all of them would be in compliance. From what I am told, the FBI fingerprints are the supposed bottleneck in the system. You would think that with all the technology that we have today, that one would be able to find out instantaneously if someone was a criminal or not.
By guinness126
I have heard that some of the local PDs are using the new, technologically advanced computerized scan pad for fingerprints. Middletown WOULD have used that, if they didn't have to take everyone applying for a pistol permit downstairs and into booking to do it. 8O

I think that would've been funny... "so, what are YOU in for?" asks the man in the orange jumpsuit. I reply, "my permit". :D
By djmiked
I have had my prints done on the computer, but to be honest with you, I think it takes longer to do it that way. The computer kept rejecting one of the fingers and it had to be redone a few times. Now sending it to the FBI via the computer is faster then mailing, but the actual process of getting the prints off the person, in my opinion, took longer then using ink.

It was done in the booking department so that was no different. But every department that has a computer finger print station (for lack of the "official name"), also has the ink pad in the same room 8)
By guinness126
Did it reject your middle finger?? :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
By djmiked
No, that would have been too easy! :wink:
By equality72521
guinness126 wrote:I have heard that some of the local PDs are using the new, technologically advanced computerized scan pad for fingerprints. Middletown WOULD have used that, if they didn't have to take everyone applying for a pistol permit downstairs and into booking to do it. 8O

I think that would've been funny... "so, what are YOU in for?" asks the man in the orange jumpsuit. I reply, "my permit". :D
Well, I had that experience in New Milford - took me through booking where everything was cinder block, cold steel and bolted to the floor. The Officer locked his weapon in a steel box on the wall before entering, in case things got out of hand… :P Thankfully New Milford is usually quiet, so I was the only one there. If that's the only time I ever see that room, I'll be happy.
About the fingerprints: The Officer in new Milford laughed when he had to finger print me "the old fashioned way" with ink. He said the last time he had to do that was when they taught it in the academy. He proceeded to show me the large electronic hand print machine next to the ink roller that will scan and sort out a person's entire handprint in under 3 seconds. He said the state and the Feds are not prepared to accept basic "permit" prints via those machines yet (bureaucratic red tape) so they have to use the ink.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!