Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
So i am going to use some locktite threadlocker on a scope mount on a Nagant i picked up because i went to range last week and the recoil backed off the screws on the mount and loosed it. Should i be worried about it eating thru bluing or having any of the rem oil eating away locktite wasn't sure figured i ask if anyone had any experience with using locktite on mounts.
By Mopar
There are several types of loctite, so pick the right one for the job. In your case my pick would be the blue. It drys in the absence of air, so that would be in the threads, and any excess can be wiped off. Shouldnt effect the blueing, but wipe it off asap just to be safe. It can also still be removed with a little extra force.
By newguy
Thanks i just wanted to be sure from someone who has some experience using it. Shoot it only took like 10 rounds out of the Nagant to shake the whole scope mount and rings loose
By Mopar
In general you have 2 other choices (Locktite makes a ton of specialty threadlockers for industry, but those are not commonly available), red and green. The green is for stuff you want to lock after the fact, or where there isnt much thread contact, like sheet metal screws. It stays on the surface and will be visible, so it's not much use on firearms. The other choice is the red. Red is way stronger then the blue, and should really only be used where you will never want to disassemble the parts ever again. In general, with properly applied red loctite you will need to heat the parts with a torch to get them apart again.

At a previous job I actually took a class sponsored by Loctite/Permatex (they used to be owned by the same company, they aren't now) and spent half a day (hey, I was getting paid AND got a free lunch!) learning about when and how to use all the different sealants and thread lockers.

One last tidbit: Loctite was invented right here in CT, though currently the company that owns it, Henkel is in NH (I have a friend who works there, I should hit him up for some freebies, heh).
By SR9
What Mopar said. Good advice.

I used many loctite producst when I was racing. Red only for stuff you wanted to stay together for a long time. Requires heat to take apart. Worked very well when converting from press in rocker arm studs to screw ins.

Blue for assemblies you would have occasion to take apart. I use the blue on all my scope mount hardware.

Mopar, I have also used the green to seal welds. Works great.
By Mike_Diako
I just bought a cap for the free float tube on my AR and it came with a small tube of Loctite. I don't see how it would affect the blueing either.
By newguy
Bought some Generic blue locktite figured give that a shot.
By newguy
Well i took rifle out to the range Friday and the dam scope mount shook loose again only got 5 rounds on paper anyone have any suggestions i can try i am at a lose the rifle ticking me off big time almost threw it thru my windshield it ticking me off so bad
By myglimk2
Super glue? :twisted:
By newguy
That was my next thought lol or put a side mount on
By GreggAndrews
Well i took rifle out to the range Friday and the dam scope mount shook loose again only got 5 rounds on paper anyone have any suggestions i can try i am at a lose the rifle ticking me off big time almost threw it thru my windshield it ticking me off so bad
Solution: Well... I'll take it off yer hands... it's a burden to bear, but I'll take one for the team... :lol:

Okay okay, seriously.

First problem: What kind of scope mount is it? Those silly two piece & those one piece mounts that hang wayyyy over tend to bend & contort under recoil causing it to untorque the screws & loose zero. Threadlocker won't help with this.

Second problem: If it isn't the scope mount, is it the screws... are the heads slightly undersize (or the bases of the heads of those screws not tapered to center the mount on the screw shaft/hole)?

Third problem: It's a Mosin... they're hard to scope properly. :lol:
By newguy
Well give it a good shot before I trade it off. LOL don't really wanna part with it because it cheap to shoot. I mean scope and mount is the 89 dollar package off amazon and the rifle itself is in seriously nice condition
By GreggAndrews
I mean scope and mount is the 89 dollar package off amazon
THAT is the problem.

Problem with Mosins... they're hard to scope properly from the get-go (unless you have the fixtures already set up). By the time you spend money on a halfway decent setup, you've exceeded the price of a sweet German mauser.

That, and surplus ammo isn't going to give you stellar accuracy to begin with (hell, M2 ball sucks sometimes...).
By JohnFH
ummm it's a Nagant, a battle rifle, shoot it with iron sights like it was designed, my iron sights have never come loose.
By GreggAndrews
ummm it's a Nagant, a battle rifle, shoot it with iron sights like it was designed, my iron sights have never come loose.
Hell, you have to shoot them with the bayonet affixed... :lol:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!