Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By GreggAndrews
This was my very first rifle... ever. This old Marlin has had probably upwards of a million rounds run through it by its previous owners, and myself. I'm not kidding about that round count either. Made in 1965, it still has all the original parts too...

Anyway, I'm out shooting today, and the rifle is locking up EVERY round. Cleaned it, tried again with no success. The recoil spring is rather lazy, the extractors are pretty well beaten. The receiver has a 1/8'' long crack running from the pin that retains the barrel, outward... not to mention a couple cracks in the rearmost portion of the receiver (where the bolt has likely been slamming into).

So, now I have two options. I can either buy all new springs & try to re-build it, or I can put it up as a wallhanger.

It's my first rifle, and I REALLY don't want to turn it unusable. I have a lot of GOOD memories with this thing. The barrel & chamber are A-OK, but the rest is... well... not so hot.

This being said, I don't know if it's financially/mechanically wise to re-do it. What concerns me most, are the cracks in the receiver.

Any opinions here?
By JohnFH
I have rebuilt the mechanics on more Model 60's than I can remember.

If the bolt has been slamming into the rceiver (it should not be) the buffer is damaged and most likley the inside of the receiver is burred.

What it will cost to repair, it would cost to replace.

I have a nice 80's Marlin 60 I don't need.
By GreggAndrews
Well... brief synopsis.

The buffer is well... shattered, for lack of a better term. The nylon/delrin/whatever plastic must've gotten brittle and finally let go.

The springs are all shot as well. Rearmost portion of the receiver is HEAVILY battered, and likely beyond repair.

Aggh... it was a good run. Wallhanger time. :cry:
By JohnFH
Yep, those buffers need regular replacement, if you have a Model 60 or 795 and haven't checked the buffer, do so before the damage to the receiver starts, the charging handle should never be able to touch the back of the receiver.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!