Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Rbadbadger
Well..I tried my poormans jig, It didn't exactly work very well, and the 555th and ak-builder ones are just toooo damn expensive, any chances anyone out there has one of these flat bending jigs? Or the mills to make one? thanks
By GreggAndrews
Rbadbadger, how is yours made? If I were going to bend sheet metal, I would build a brake out of square/rectangular solid stock (powered by an el-cheapo 4 ton hydraulic jack). I'm not entirely sure if the AK flat is square all the way inside (or if there are more complicated bends), but that's the way I'd do it.

Maybe an oversize square form for the jig itself, and then a slightly undersize rectangular block mounted to a jack arm? I'm thinking .5'' bolts could be used as form guides between rectangular slats to guide the forming block true.

(I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but that's the way I'd form thick sheet metal).
By Rbadbadger
yeah I thought of buying a break and going from there, But I discovered the "555th jig" and I'm having one of the tool and die makers at work machine me up one, Thanks for the ideas though!!!!! The flats only 1mm thick too, I tried in a vice with a hammer, But that didn't come out too well. There's dimples that stop me from getting a solid edge. I'll let you know how it comes out though!!
By GreggAndrews
Vise with hammer...

Trust me friend, I've bent a LOT of sheet metal (namely the battery pan for my car), and let me tell you it's definitely a PITA to make even a reasonably accurate angle...

1mm thick sheet isn't normally very tough, but for AK receivers, aren't they 4130 and already heat treated? That would make those fine bends a little more... interesting.
By Rbadbadger
Yeah it's 4130, But not heat treated, I tried it, but mangled it up. So trying this other option, and if this doesnt work. I'll just ask my uncle to use his press break. I'm just stubborn and like to try and do things on my own!!!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!