News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Flat bending Jig

Keeping your firearms functioning properly and repairs

Moderator: Moderators

Rbadbadger
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Flat bending Jig

Postby Rbadbadger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Well..I tried my poormans jig, It didn't exactly work very well, and the 555th and ak-builder ones are just toooo damn expensive, any chances anyone out there has one of these flat bending jigs? Or the mills to make one? thanks

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Rbadbadger, how is yours made? If I were going to bend sheet metal, I would build a brake out of square/rectangular solid stock (powered by an el-cheapo 4 ton hydraulic jack). I'm not entirely sure if the AK flat is square all the way inside (or if there are more complicated bends), but that's the way I'd do it.

Maybe an oversize square form for the jig itself, and then a slightly undersize rectangular block mounted to a jack arm? I'm thinking .5'' bolts could be used as form guides between rectangular slats to guide the forming block true.

(I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but that's the way I'd form thick sheet metal).
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Erik
Marksman III
Marksman III

Postby Erik » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Don't know what gauge you need to use, but Harbor Freight has very inexpensive brakes. The cheapest one is about $33 and will handle stock up to 16 gauge and 18" if that will do it. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html

Rbadbadger
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby Rbadbadger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

yeah I thought of buying a break and going from there, But I discovered the "555th jig" and I'm having one of the tool and die makers at work machine me up one, Thanks for the ideas though!!!!! The flats only 1mm thick too, I tried in a vice with a hammer, But that didn't come out too well. There's dimples that stop me from getting a solid edge. I'll let you know how it comes out though!!

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Vise with hammer...

Trust me friend, I've bent a LOT of sheet metal (namely the battery pan for my car), and let me tell you it's definitely a PITA to make even a reasonably accurate angle...

1mm thick sheet isn't normally very tough, but for AK receivers, aren't they 4130 and already heat treated? That would make those fine bends a little more... interesting.
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Rbadbadger
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby Rbadbadger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah it's 4130, But not heat treated, I tried it, but mangled it up. So trying this other option, and if this doesnt work. I'll just ask my uncle to use his press break. I'm just stubborn and like to try and do things on my own!!!

Return to “Gunsmithing”