Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Rbadbadger
I'm curious..can hot black oxide be used the same way as "hot blueing"? For barrels and such? Just wondering if its completely different or what. Thanks

- Ray[/i]
By SR9
Short answer is yes. The process produces fumes and uses a number of chemicals.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/blackoxide.html

I have not used the hot process but re-finished a rifle using the cold process. Pictures are here :

http://www.ctshooting.com/modules.php?n ... pic&t=2478

It looked great when it was done a seemed durable enough but over time it went from a very dark grey(almost black) to a light grey. Every time I wipe it down I get some iron oxide on the rag. Not really an issue but not clean like other coatings.

One thing I learned is that the metal MUST be cleaner than you think. Stripping followed by glass beading with soap and water clean up is not enough. I ended up using a chemical metal prep and then had success with the black oxide.

I think if I do it again I would try the Duracoat process. In fact, if you are not wild about doing it yourself, Mike-Sid does that type of coating.

Bottom line is hot processes involve hazardous materials, require the correct equipment and need to be done very carefully to come out right.
By Rbadbadger
Well the reason I ask, is that the shop I work in, has a black oxide line, they have the heavy chemical degreasers, wash tanks, hot black oxide tank, the works. I wanted to know if I could throw the barrel of my Glock in there, Previous owner didn't take very good care of it AT ALL. Stupid of me for buying it. But I guess that's what I'm gonna be doing tonight! lol thanks SR9
By hayes1966
Try with a piece of steel first and use regular gun cleaning solvents to see how effective it is.
By SR9
Rbadbadger wrote:Well the reason I ask, is that the shop I work in, has a black oxide line, they have the heavy chemical degreasers, wash tanks, hot black oxide tank, the works. I wanted to know if I could throw the barrel of my Glock in there, Previous owner didn't take very good care of it AT ALL. Stupid of me for buying it. But I guess that's what I'm gonna be doing tonight! lol thanks SR9
Sounds like you are well equipped. Generally, it is a good idea to plug the ends of the barrel to keep any caustic cleaners and the oxide out. Go for it.
By Rbadbadger
Well, I did my Glock Barrel tonight, and WOW did it come out nice, after I put it back together and oiled it up it looks brand new. I wish I took a before and after picture...But I don't think that far ahead!!

Next...To black oxide my bent mosin bolt!!!! haha
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!