Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By CTSixshot
Jeff:

I know little to nothing about this revolver, but I've been told the gunsmith at Foster Bear Arms, (Foster, RI ...website link posted in one of these forums) has an interest in older revolvers; maybe he can refer you to a source for parts.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Ron's Guns (East Lyme, CT) has a slew of hammers, springs etc on the tables in his shop. Haven't a clue if any go into a Whitneyville.
By jeff4570
Well , I researched more and still come up empty .
The Whitneyvill 22 short , 7 shot 1870;s brass frame , octogon barrel ,revolver has that common trigger of the time (no guard) .
It looks to me that it should have a LEAF SPRING but all I have for now is a tight circular spring that is not functioning right .
I bet the S&W #1 and Colt pocket 22s of the same period uses the same config ?
Where can I get stuff like that ?
I cant seem to find a diagram either , that would really help .
By JohnB
might have to call around on that one 8O i looked on the usual suspects (e-gunparts etc) but they have nothing, i wonder if you could even make a spring...
By jeff4570
Here are pictures of it : http://www.geocities.com/elmcitygun/whitneyville1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/elmcitygun/whitneyville2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/elmcitygun/whitneyville3.jpg

It differs from the model 1 that I have seen as it has a different looking cylinder pin .

I bought it because it was cheap and made here in New Haven CT by eli Whitney (or his Son) in the 1870's .
Also recently got a Whitnney 36 cal revolver 1850's-60s in fantastic shape ! No pictures yet .

Someone emailed me and reminded me to check Wolf gunsprings , they have a large assortment of all kinds of springs , I think I got what I need except the grips .
By jeff4570
Got $15 worth of assorted springs from wolf Gunsprings Inc.
10 min. and a grindstone and its PERFECT !!

Now to find the grips .
By JohnB
have you shot it yet ??
By jeff4570
I shot it , no problem , standard 22 shorts.
Could not find grips but repaired them myself with old original 19th century grips from another "sicide Special" .
By navyogre
Congratulations. Always nice to see an old CT gun rescued. I have one of it "big" brothers, a Whitneyville 12ga double barrel, dated 1858 if I remember correctly. Three triggers in two guards, a single forward of two doubles, if you can picture that. Looked like a dug relic when I got it years ago, nice patina'd wall hanger after some careful elbow grease. Not sure if I'd want to pull the trigger, even with black powder loads, although she appears she could handle it. I'll try to take some photos later this evening if anyone wishes to see the old girl.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!