Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By djmiked
Take that big screw out completely and the whole rear sight should come off. Turn the sight over and you will see where the screw should go on the side, it has a recess underneath. it makes adjusting windage more precise with the screw in there. You just lossen the big screw and turn the little side screw to adjust windage.
By jeff4570
I lost the screw !! Anybody have one ?
By JohnB
fantastic job, makes me want a cetme now :)
By djmiked
Which screw did you lose, the big one or the little one?
By hayes1966
JohnB wrote:fantastic job, makes me want a cetme now :)
Jeff may have one for sale :lol:
By jeff4570
djmiked : I lost the little one on the side .

BTW : A little background on the "CETME Sporter" byCentury Arms -

They came into the country completely UN-CLEANED (on the inside ) , many didn't work out of the box (incl. mine) .
Its hard to believe that any company would go to the trouble of welding a new reciever to a surplus firearm and then assemble the rest without cleaning it but they did .

In many cases the rollers were stuck in but the good news is that after a good cleaning the gun works 100% perfectly .

There is a company in Texas that makes a unique , good quality muzzel brake for it , it cost me about $100 installed , just sent them the stripped upper and they pressed it on .
By djmiked
Jeff,

I'll check with and see if I have one hanging around.

Have you ever checked the bolt gap on your rifle? Just wondering if the trunions in those CETME's are worn. If you don't know how to check the bolt gap I can tell you how.
By jeff4570
Do you mean Head space ? Or the wiggle area between the bolt face and the chamber when locked ?

Never had anything checked , rifle functions well and no signs of deformaty on the cases except the fluted chamber makes the brass tough to work with .
By djmiked
Make sure you have a clear chamber and let the cocking handle go forward. Pull the trigger (Again make sure your gun is safe and clear). Look through the magazine well and you will see the underside of the bolt and carrier. Take a feeler gage (like the ones used to check spark plug gap) and check the dimension between the rear of the bolt and the carrier. It should be somewhere between ).005" and 0.020" Ideal range is between 0.010 and 0.018".

The bolt gap lets you know if the gun is properly headspaced. If they used a worn trunion and the rollers were stuck in the gun, I would suspect that the trunion area may be worn. To change th bolt gap, you change the rollers in the gun. They make +2, +4, +6 and +8 to increase the bolt gap and also -2, and -4 to decrease the bolt gap.

You really won't notice anything in the cases, what will happen is the gun will start beating itself to death via the trunion. The area in the trunion where the rollers lock will start to wear and wear to a point that the trunion will have to be replaced. If the gun has the proper bolt gap and it is used a lot, keep checking it to make sure you are in the acceptable range. If need be, change the roller size to correct the gap and the gun will last a long time.
By JohnB
good advice right there, ive seen people mention "ground bolts" on cetmes, what exactly does that mean also ?
By djmiked
I've never heard that term before. I honestly am not sure what that refers to.
By djmiked
Jeff,

I don't have any windage screws, but you can get one here: http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

I think he gets like $3 for them. Great source for HK and Cetme parts.
By jeff4570
I don't know what they are either but what I do know is that its amazing that a CETME sporter actually works At ALL considering that the government required them to saw off the recievers only to weld new ones back on just to satisfy the importation regulations .

With that said , its a wonder how we ever became such a super-power (?)
I guess we stopped putting Radio Shack transistors in criuse mislsles ?

(how many people remember THAT ?? )

djmiked: I have already ordered that screw from the same person you linked to , thanks .
By JohnB
well..from what ive been reading now, they were grinding down the bolt face to set the headspace..sounds a little scarey to me
By djmiked
That is very scary because the rollers in the trunion determine the headspace via the bolt gap. I'll stick with HK's and the like thank you!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!