Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By Hddreamer
Ok tryin to learn Alittle about shot guns here ,
What round is best for home defense ?
What do you protect your family/house with?
By MessEleven
I have a Remington 887 pump in 12 ga. for home protection.
By JohnFH
The "best" round for home defense varies depending on your enviroment.

If you live in an apartment or close packed houses, slugs are not a good choice, over penetration or misses can cause a lot of damage for example.

12ga is probably the most popular with the most options for defensive rounds.

I prefer a 24" slug barrel with iron sights with a full stock for a gun.
By punisher
00 buck is what I have loaded in my shotgun. Hopefully I never have to fire it but if need be 00 is my choice. I do not live in an apartment bldg, if I did I would have to reconsider my load for neighbors. 00 buck will easily go though sheetrock or a couple of walls from what ive researched.
By Hddreamer
So for in a house 12 ga.00 buck is a good shell to use ?
And what about size ,I hear 2 1/2 inches ,3 inches why and what is the difference ?
What's the difference between steel shot and others is one better if so why ?
I really appreciate this like I said earlyer I want to get one ,and I will , I just want to know about the gun and ammo as much as I can before buying one so all info is greatly appreciated
Thanks
By CTSixshot
I'm not a shotgun authority by any stretch, but it seems to me that the older guns are mostly 2 3/4". It seems as though the rush for "New and Improved" has brought about the need for 3", Magnum, etc.
The biggest concern is that you don't attempt to chamber and fire the longer hulls in the shorter chamber.
As to gage size, well, I look at it as similar to buying the .357 Magnum revolver. You can shoot the lighter .38 Specials and still have the capacity for the big stuff. With a 12 gage, you can shoot reduced loads for trap (although these may not be readily available at Wal-Mart) and still have the capability for the big stuff.
By MessEleven
CTSixshot wrote: As to gage size, well, I look at it as similar to buying the .357 Magnum revolver. You can shoot the lighter .38 Specials and still have the capacity for the big stuff. With a 12 gage, you can shoot reduced loads for trap (although these may not be readily available at Wal-Mart) and still have the capability for the big stuff.
Exactly. I load the home defense gun with light 12 gauge target loads. I guarantee an intruder will not be an intruder for very long if he catches a snootful or two of #8 lead. Plus I'm fairly confident any fired rounds won't make it past the walls of the house.
By sjcolwell2
Heavy duty turkey load , kills ya but wont go through sheet rock
By Hddreamer
dont mean to be a pain in the ass but i think im hearing different things here ,what i mean is ,
buck shot
turkey shot
i do know what a slug shot is but thats about it is there like a web site that would clear this up for me or someone out there give me a lesson on shotgun loads for dummies (LOL)???
By MessEleven
Here's the essentials. Anything exiting a shotgun at over 1,000 ft/sec at close range (pretty much everything in a home is close range) will tear the living shit out of the recipient. Anything. So instead of focusing on ammo, spend your time researching the guns themselves.

In my opinion, a shorter barrel is better because you're dealing with tight spaces in a home. So most of the shotguns listed as "tactical" are appropriate since they generally have barrels shorter than 20 inches. They're also nice because they usually have a rail that will allow you to add a light.

Keep it inexpensive but reliable unless you're planning to compete with the same shotgun -- unlikely. Mossberg and Remington are good options, but you could also go even less expensive with a Stoeger side-by-side coach gun, under $400. But I like the sound of a round being racked for maximum crap-your-pants value in the dark.

My $.02.
By Hddreamer
Messeleven what you say makes sence to me thank you!
By nvisn
Racked? The last thing they will hear is the hammer strike.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!