Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By Joe_SigFan
Owner of a new Remington 11 87 Police Shotgun but somewhat a novice. Was wondering. Since I bought this primarily for self-defense, do you suggest I go to the range and use the ammunition I would in a home defense situation or can I use another 12Ga load (either bird or buck).
I know the pellet size is different but am I likely to feel any difference in the gun itself with differing shot size :?:
By CTSixshot
Just as a heads up, many ranges don't allow you to shoot trap loads, birdshot, buckshot...so ask before you head out and end up disappointed.

I think High Rock in Naugatuck allows slugs only. ChrisNCT is a member there, I believe...he should be able to give you the low down.
Perhaps that info is on their website; you'll have to search for it, I don't have it directly in front of me now.

There is a freebie range over in Glastonbury that doesn't seem to have a restriction; just paper targets and no full auto. It doesn't open up til around mid-April though.

Let me know, I'll go over there with you once things warm up.

Same applies with the Harwinton Rod and Gun Club... they hold action pistol matches with an occasional rifle and shotgun side event. This would be an actual combat styled event, but usually they allow low-brass, size 6 or less, sometimes slugs. Their schedule isn't updated yet.

http://harwintonrodandgun.com/ht_2009_pistol.htm
By Joe_SigFan
Thanks for the info. Will check those out
By CTSixshot
If you can handle slugs, you'll find the other loads to be easy enough to handle. Of course, this doesn't mean you'll hit anything at 200 yards with number 9 shot.
At 15 feet I'd imagine any 12 gage loading would be effective, but then again I'm not a forensic scientist or even an accountant!
By Joe_SigFan
Thanks good. I wouldn't trust an accountant in this economy anyway.......
By CTSixshot
JSF:
Please note the updated schedule for the Harwinton R&G under the "Announcements" forum. You'll see shotgun events in May and August.

May 17th shotgun/pistol - 25 b-shot/75rds pistol
Aug 9th shotgun/pistol - 25 b-shot/5 slugs & 75rds pistol

If you don't have a pistol, you'll find many with an extra for you to shoot.
By SR9
Every range I have been to allows slug only for shotguns.
By sjcolwell2
The "free bee" Range in glastonbury only allows slugs except for in sept and november they let you patern your shot gun. The range is also closed until the end of march i believe.
By equality72521
I know this is a long dead thread that I never saw and I'm not even sure the original poster is even around, but I thought I would answer their question just in case someone else happened upon this in the future.

You really should "pattern" your shotgun with your chosen self-defense load. This involves shooting at various distances starting at close contact and moving back 5 yd intervals. You want to find the distance at which the spread of your shot exceeds 16" in diameter, or one pellet leaves the silhouette. Find the sweet spot where you can keep all the pellets on the target, or in a 16" diameter. This is your max effective range with that load. It is highly specific to your shotgun, the barrel length, choke, and your chosen ammo, the load, manufacturer, and even box lot numbers. A 00-buck from Remington will not pattern the same as a 00-buck from Winchester, or even a Magnum 00-buck from Remington. This max effective range is usually between 18-25 yds. Beyond that you wouldn't want to use shot because you risk throwing a pellet and violating Rule 4 to your legal peril.
The point at which you exceed the max effective distance of your shot round, is when you would do a "select-slug" - dump your shot round (by unloading it manually through the ejection port, not ballisticly through the muzzle), load a slug, re-assess, re-engage.
You should know the rate of drop for your chosen self-defense slug in your shotgun. Again, every load is different, and behaves differently depending on the barrel length. A short police barrel is going to drop quicker than a 24" rifled deer barrel. Zero your sights, if you have them, for 50 yards and practice your holdovers, using your chosen self-defense round, at 25, 75, and 100 yds (For a short barrel, this usually works out to 6:00 hold at 25, upper chest at 75, chin at 100 - but again, your ymmv)
And yes, 7.5 bird shot feels way different than 00-buck, feels way different than magnum buck, feels way different than slugs, feels way different than magnum slugs. You can shoot 7.5 bird all day long, incorrectly, and not know the difference, but the first time you load a 3" slug and don't shoulder the shotgun properly, you're going to leave a mark. You really have to test all your chosen ammo to know how it behaves in your shotgun, and you also have to know some basic shotgun handling in order to be an effective shooter. To others' points, all this testing is hard to do in CT - we have limited facilities and the ranges are overrun with Safety Sally's. Front Sight's 4 Day Tactical Shotgun course is ideal for this. It's the only place you can do a Zombie Apocalypse Drill and not get banned from the range (you'll have to go to Front Sight to find out what a ZAD is...haha).
By sjcolwell2
I agree
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!