Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By cthunterman
Have an opportunity to get a 70's Mossberg 500 with the c-lect choke. Anyone have any experience with a 500 of this vintage? Can it shoot modern loads?
By CTSixshot
Can't help you directly, but generally the older shotguns may be chambered for 2 3/4" loads only. It won't take 3" if marked 2 3/4" regardless of age.
I'm not aware of modern 2 3/4" loads being unacceptable for older 2 3/4" guns.
By JohnFH
My Mossy 500 is probably close to that old, still my favorite
By nuke
I have a 20ga 500, fixed modified choke. Chambered for 3" shells. I''ve used it for everything from lite loads to buck and slugs. I would think a 12ga of the same age would be just as good. Mine is 1972 first shotgun my dad bought me at Christmas when I was 12. Never a problem with it. I don'think the selectable chokes ever caught on.
By nuke
I just check my gun and it is marked "chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells" so you mightask the seller if it's marked.
By punisher
I used to have a Remington 870 from the 60's and never had a problem with it.
Gave it to my dad for his home defense. He still shoots the poop out of it.
He can shoot it but complains hes too old to clean it!!! So i clean it for him.
Oh well, anything for my dad.

Sorry if I got off topic!!!
Its just I really dont judge firearms by there age.
By JohnFH
if age mattered my 1907 Swedish Mauser would be an issue, first day out with it I took second place at a military match.

100 plus year old gun with 50 year old ammo, almost better than sex (and it doesn't complain that I have other rifles :wink: )
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!