Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By Mike-Sid
For reloading purposes, what do I have here? First, the green and black Remington hulls are they "Gun Club? Nitro 27 or STS"? or do they use the same reloading data?
How about the red Win hulls are they compression formed HS ??
How about the 20 gauge Win & Rem hulls ??? Is there a book to reference the hulls to identify them? Or do you know what the heck I got?
Thanks!!

By jtf650
Both Remington hulls can be reloaded with STS data- the black hull is a Game Load and sometimes (but not always) comes with a 6 point crimp, so you need to separate those out and change your crimp starter. The Sport Load is just a relabeled Gun Club. They both have steel bases and should reload fine.

I don't think the Win hulls are compression formed, but without looking inside I can't be positive. I don't bother with Winchester hulls unless they're AAs, but that's just me.

It's been so long since I reloaded 20s that I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

www.shotgunworld.com has a section on the forum for shotshell reloading, and www.trapshooters.com also has many knowledgeable reloaders. They could help with your questions. The only book I have with hull id info is over 25 years old- most of the hulls today didn't exist back then!
By Mike-Sid
I must have the same book! Was good 15 years ago, but no good now. I'll check out those sites
By LTB45
ANYTHING Remington 12 ga. gets reloaded the same way. I have many shades of green (Dark Green = STS) and some black and even gold (Nitro 27) hulls. I never change the recipe or my crimper. I just keep reusing until the plastic splits or the primers start to pop out.

Primers only back out after MANY reloadings and usually only when I fire them in my 1100 Semi Auto. Never noticed any backing out of shells that get fired in my wifes BT-99 or her 686, both break open guns or from any of my pumps or my SxS. I figure that it has to do with the bolt moving back on the semi as the shell fires leaving room for the primer to back out a bit.

Anything Winchester (always the cheap stuff) gets a quick ride to the garbage can after firing once.

I do not own any 20ga guns and if I did, I would not be able to justify reloading them, due to machine cost and the amount of shells I would shoot a year.
By GreggAndrews
While we're sorta on the topic... what's the opinion on the Federal hulls? I'm talking the $20/100 "Val-U-Packs".

Why I ask? Because I have the equivalent of TWO five gallon pails full of spent hulls, and I'd rather not throw them away. :)
By LTB45
GreggAndrews wrote: what's the opinion on the Federal hulls? I'm talking the $20/100 "Val-U-Packs".

Why I ask? Because I have the equivalent of TWO five gallon pails full of spent hulls, and I'd rather not throw them away. :)
I have reloaded a few (5 or 6) with the same recipe that I load everything with. Once was plenty. They crimp like CRAP! They shot fine but really better off throwing away.

Remington makes the same value packs, same price, and the cheap Remington hulls will reload MANY times.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!