Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By CTSixshot
FWIW, "The Day" has a Dick's advertisement listing Remington Gun Club shot shells (12 & 20 gage) for $4.98 a box. Various shot sizes. I don't believe this price applied only to the new Lisbon store.
By jtf650
Mike-Sid wrote: My entire reason for trap shooting is to improve my shotgun skills for waterfowl hunting. Because of this I'm loading my trap loads to 1300 fps to stay near or closer to the speeds of my waterfowl loads. In my mind I think if I use shells of the same speeds it will help me hold or judge the correct leads for the waterfowl or trap, all in a splt second without thinking. Does this make sense? Is it a valid theory?
A while back I read where somebody did the calculations for the difference in lead between 1150 and 1200 fps loads at skeet distances- the difference was really tiny, not enough to justify the extra recoil from the faster load. But the difference is surely greater at trap or waterfowl distances, so if the recoil doesn't bother you and, more importantly, shooting that faster load creates a higher level of confidence in your mind, then it makes as much sense as anything else. After you learn the basics, it's mostly a confidence head game anyway, so building confidence is a good thing. I'm not sure if Clays or Red Dot can be loaded that fast, though, so check the manuals before you pick some up to try.
By Mike-Sid
jtf650 wrote:
But the difference is surely greater at trap or waterfowl distances, so if the recoil doesn't bother you and, more importantly, shooting that faster load creates a higher level of confidence in your mind, then it makes as much sense as anything else.
I think the "mental" part is more relevant than the physical aspects for me. I figure when I start shooting better all around I'll back off on my trap loads.

jtf650 wrote: I'm not sure if Clays or Red Dot can be loaded that fast, though, so check the manuals before you pick some up to try.
I can load 1 oz shot, WAA12SL, and 19.8 grans of Clays to get 1290 fps
This is where I'll start.
By Mike-Sid
CTSixshot wrote:FWIW, "The Day" has a Dick's advertisement listing Remington Gun Club shot shells (12 & 20 gage) for $4.98 a box. Various shot sizes. I don't believe this price applied only to the new Lisbon store.

I got that price in a flyer in the New Haven Register this week also! I might stop by tomorrow to stock up! Thanks for the tip.
By Mike-Sid
From the advice of others....
I am going to but a few flats and then use the hulls for reloading.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!