Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By Erik
Can anybody recommend a club or range near New Haven where I could try some skeet shooting? I took the hunter education class and did the field day yesterday at the Rockville Fish and Game Club (they did a really great job with this, by the way). As part of that, I shot at some clay birds for the first time and I liked it a lot (and did better than I expected). I would like to do some more. Rockville is open to the public two days a week, and it seems like a nice facility with a bunch of good guys there, but the days it's open are not convenient and it's more than an hour away. I'd apply for membership in a heartbeat if it was closer. Ideally, I'd like to find a place with similar facilities, but closer. Any suggestions? Thanks.
By CTSixshot
Ansonia has skeet and trap.
I'm not a member, but I know they have range fees in addition to membership (at least they did when a friend was a member there).
http://www.ansoniarodandgun.net/
By Erik
Thanks! Those both look good, although Ansonia says it'membership is closed right now. The Hamden club would be very convenient. I will check them both out. Much appreciated.
By CTSixshot
Not an everyday event, but I happened across the following pamphlet:
"Connecticut Yankee Council Boy Scouts Of America Sporting Clays Shoot 6th Annual Fundraiser Friday 15 Oct 2010, Madison Rod and Gun Club"
For more info: call Lou Salute 203.876.6868 Ext.225 or [email protected]
Also lists the following website: www.ctyankee.org
By Erik
Thank you.
By CTSixshot
You bet, Erik.
By Erik
So I went and visited Hamden Fish and Game. They have nice facilities, including trap, skeet and sporting clays stations (not sure what all the differences are, honestly) and a 100 yard rifle/pistol range. The facilities seem really well maintained and everybody I met was very friendly and helpful. Membership is open and cost for the first year (dues plus capital contribution) is $500. It's about 20 minutes or less from me out by Sleeping Giant. It seems like a no brainer, so I am definitely going to apply. Thanks again to all for the input.
By Erik
Just to update this: I completed my membership process yesterday. I'm really looking forward to using it. So far (and it's rare in my experience that you can say this about any place), every single person I have spoken with has gone out of their way to be helpful and friendly. And they even make a decent bacon, egg and cheese at the snack bar. 8O
By CTSixshot
Good deal, Erik.
I'll have to have you give me the tour someday... although I'm not really into trap and skeet shooting exclusively. (I guess I'll have to get a real job, too, to even consider joining any club.)
By Erik
I'd be happy to, soon as I know my way around myself. I'm not into trap and skeet at all, yet, but I'm excited to learn. There are some very competitive shooters that are members, and I've been told that they're willing to teach a new guy, so I intend to take advantage of that. I figure that skill has to translate to other shooting styles, as well, at least in respect of target acquisition, etc. I expect I'll also get some use out of the rifle/pistol range too, in the warmer weather. I was told there's an IDPA group that shoots when it's warmer, too, so I'll be checking that out. All in all, it seems to be a great resource.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!