News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Polymer AR-15 Build!

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.

Moderator: Moderators

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Polymer AR-15 Build!

Postby phoffer961 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 pm

I saw an ad on JoeBob Outfitters for a complete polymer lower for $109.95 delivered so I had to take a chance and see what I could build! The poly lower came complete and built with the lower, parts kit, and adjustable butt stock (which I pinned) with buffer! All I had to do was snap on an upper. I bought a complete upper from Midway, DPMS Oracle 16” for $387.42 delivered. I added MBUS front and rear sights, UTG Tri Rail, and a Hogue Wrap for the pistol grip. All together I spent $557.40 delivered including the $25.00 FFL fee. I took it to Blue Trails and ran 120 rounds through it with no issues! I was very happy! The rifle handled fine and the lower had absolutely no issues! I broke it down, cleaned it and inspected the rifle and found no problems! I have to say for a low budget AR this rifle is very cool! It is also lighter than my others which is to be expected. This is definitely a keeper!

Last edited by phoffer961 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Have you put it on a scale?
The Destroyer has arrived

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I have a UTG front metal flip up sight that is meant to be mounted on a railed gas block. Could save a pinch more weight by taking off that barrel clamp mount.

Pm me if you're interested. :wink:
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."
-David Icke

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:38 pm

OK, this is really cool.

I don't like the idea of a polymer lower, but I've been kicking the idea around in my head to build a super, super, SUPER ultralight AR... it would be kind of fun to shave a few millimeters of thickness off of a barrel on the lathe... :twisted:
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

MadSmith
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby MadSmith » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:00 pm

We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Have sold literally dozens of polymer lowers, either alone or as part of complete rifles. Never had a problem with any of them. They're good sporting/range guns. Modern fiber reinforced ballistic nylon composites are pretty tough.
The Freedom Shoppe
25 Old State Road, New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 350-3502
Class 7 FFL (Manufacturer), black rifles, customization, prototyping, consignments, layaways, $25 transfers.

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm

MadSmith wrote:We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Have sold literally dozens of polymer lowers, either alone or as part of complete rifles. Never had a problem with any of them. They're good sporting/range guns. Modern fiber reinforced ballistic nylon composites are pretty tough.

Actually, not to derail the thread, but have you ever turned a barrel on centers, just to see how thin you could get one? Most obviously, accuracy would be compromised (and I imagine it would get hot!).

I personally think it would be really cool to get one under the 5lb. mark. :)
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

MadSmith
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby MadSmith » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm

GreggAndrews wrote:
MadSmith wrote:We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Actually, not to derail the thread, but have you ever turned a barrel on centers, just to see how thin you could get one? Most obviously, accuracy would be compromised (and I imagine it would get hot!).

I personally think it would be really cool to get one under the 5lb. mark. :)

I just used a barrel liner, which is about as thin as you can get. Epoxied it to a garolite (G10) tube, which weighs less than aluminum. Worked well, but it does get hot. You may want to do something similar but with a milled aluminum tube. Give it most of the rigidity of a large diameter barrel but with much less weight, and increased surface area for cooling.
The Freedom Shoppe

25 Old State Road, New Milford, CT 06776

(860) 350-3502

Class 7 FFL (Manufacturer), black rifles, customization, prototyping, consignments, layaways, $25 transfers.

nvisn
High Master II
High Master II

Postby nvisn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

careful with 53-202a, that's all I'm saying.

phoffer961
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby phoffer961 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:55 am

nvisn wrote:careful with 53-202a, that's all I'm saying.

Thank you for the heads up! I have ordered a muzzle break and will have it installed as soon as it arrives!

Return to “Gallery”