Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By nvisn
I cant wait to try out some 62 grainers through that 1/8 5R barrel.
By JohnFH
nvisn wrote:I cant wait to try out some 62 grainers through that 1/8 5R barrel.
Is that a hint?
By PaiN
nvisn wrote:I cant wait to try out some 62 grainers through that 1/8 5R barrel.
The Sport is quite accurate.....I shot two different loads through today.
62g SP and a 50g HP.......The groups were very close but if I had to call it I'd have to say the 50 grainers were a little tighter.
By nvisn
SR9 wrote:Why is the optics ready M&P more expensive than the sport?
It has a dust cover and forward assist.
By JohnFH
Does any one use a forward assist?

I was always of the mind set if the round doesn't go in, forcing it is probably not a good idea?
By nvisn
JohnFH wrote:Does any one use a forward assist?

I was always of the mind set if the round doesn't go in, forcing it is probably not a good idea?
+1, while I am not as experienced as the Oracle I have fired 5k+ rounds through various ARs that I have built/bought and I NEVER reached for the FA. I also do not fight with my AR in the desert or swamp so a dust cover is also moot point. Other than that the Sport is a milspec AR. I planned on buying the ALG QMS trigger for this gun but this AR has the best out of the box milspec AR trigger I ever pulled - I'm going to save my $50
By Rich_B
JohnFH wrote:Does any one use a forward assist?

The only good justification I have ever heard for a FA these days is if you want to quietly close the bolt, you will need to use the FA to get the bolt fully closed.

That said, I am willing to forego it as well.
By newguy
Never owned a AR but is there a serious difference between 55gr heads and 62gr just curious if that small difference makes a huge difference
By CTSixshot
newguy wrote:Never owned a AR but is there a serious difference between 55gr heads and 62gr just curious if that small difference makes a huge difference
Probably not a whole lot, but in such a small diameter bullet, the extra weight/mass has to go somewhere and that's usually in bullet length. The longer bullets require faster twist to stabilize. 62g and heavier is the area that starts to matter.

Same thing with the Sinterfire frangibles. Not being lead they are less dense than your standard lead core bullet. A 45g and 52g Sinterfire are about as volumous as the 62g and 68g lead cores, hence the faster twist barrels for these, as a rule.

Seems to me that I have some Speer 70 grainers loaded up into .223 Remington in my stash.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... =000211053
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
SR9 wrote:All this AR talk and pics finally got to me. I picked up an M&P Sport today. Can't wait to shoot it!
8O YOU bought something new...............! go SR9...... :D

You're going to luv it.
By GreggAndrews
PaiN wrote:
SR9 wrote:All this AR talk and pics finally got to me. I picked up an M&P Sport today. Can't wait to shoot it!
8O YOU bought something new...............! go SR9...... :D

You're going to luv it.
I think I'm going to go this route for my first AR...

And now, I play the classifieds waiting game...
By nvisn
I'll be there with mine Sunday. Congrats on the new purchase.
By AgentP
Hmm.....can you say AR shoot? :wink:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!