Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By sludwinjr
series 300 should not rust......however it is not used in firearm parts. most of the time the comp is changed so it is not magnetic as they use 300 series a lot in watch parts and stuff that can not be magnetic.......

I have a Jenn Aire Gas Grill Insert I built into an island 4 years ago and its been through 4 winters, I have never covered it and it is made from
304 stainless and the thing is spotless, not a spot on it. it depends on the quality of the product you buy as well......

I purchased the stainless frame and slide from remsport for the 10mm cco 1911 build i posted on here and carry it all the time in my IWB leather holster and have never had a issue with rust, oxidation or anything, but it just goes to show you the quality differance and you get what you pay for,
no offense.....
you could try taking it apart and bead blasting the frame and slide and that may help prolomg it a litlle.
By GreggAndrews
I have a Jenn Aire Gas Grill Insert I built into an island 4 years ago and its been through 4 winters, I have never covered it and it is made from
304 stainless and the thing is spotless, not a spot on it. it depends on the quality of the product you buy as well......
The same couldn't be said if it were exposed to saltwater :wink:

The biggest misconception is, people believe that stainless steel will not corrode. It will. If you left a stainless gun in a leather holster for a year or two, the tannins in the leather would eventually start pock-marking the slide & frame.

I'm still baffled as to why stainless from Ruger would rust. My Old Army wouldn't show signs of even patina. :?
By sludwinjr
stainless exposed to salt water will rust eventually if not cleaned or taken care of.....when i had my 28' searay sundancer, i had plenty of stainless stuff on there. if it wasnt 300 series it wouldnt last 1 season, if it was 3oo series it would last if i cleaned it and took care of it......

rugers quality has gone into the crapper......im not sure where they get theyre castings/forgings from, some people say they make them themselves, but i doubt it with all the other companies out there. even the high end companies like wilson, nighthawk, ed brown ect dont even make theirs, or maybe ruger does and that is why there quality is lacking
By GreggAndrews
I'm a little worried to hear about Ruger's recent mishaps... it's not like them at all, or Pine Tree Castings where they get their raw castings from. :?

Mind you, the Ruger Old Army was built entirely of cast parts (including the cylinder IIRC), and was able to withstand firing a full chamber of bullseye.

If I had the money, I'd really like to see what the inside of an "old" stainless casting of theirs, and a brand new casting looks like in order to make a comparison.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!