Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
decided it was time to build my own 1911. i went today and purchased my frame, slide, and barrel. i just have to wait till its shipped to jojo's so i can go pick it up.....

im building a 10mm cco, bought an officers stainless frame, and a commander stainless slide with rear bomar cut and a flattened and serrated top. a 10mm barrel and bushing. i have about half of the internals and ill place my order for the rest tomorrow. cant wait to get started on this as ive been wanting a custom cco in 10mm for a while.....

once i get the slide/frame ill start posting pics as i complete every step from start to finish.....and "hopefully' ill have a aweet running 10mm cco :D
Last edited by sludwinjr on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By sludwinjr
yes, i have had jojo's do quite a bit of 1911 work for me, but i have a lot of smithing tools, sanders,grinders, blasting booth with aly/oxide and glass bead so now i think its time for me to venture out on my own. ive done trigger jobs, beavertails, safeties, i can completely dis-assemble and assemble and refinish, so im biting the bullet and gonna dive in and build my very own 1911 cco in 10mm......i figure total cost for an entire stainless 1911 with all ed brown or wilson internals im around $1300 and a bunch of time(which i have) at the moment.....
By sludwinjr
okay got the frame,barrel, bushing and the slide today. picked them up at jojo's. have some of the parts but the remainder of the parts should be in tomorrow except for the sights. i had to have jody measure the cut so i know what to order.

the slide and frame are stainless, the top of the slide is serrated and cut for a bomar rear and novak front. to start im going to finish the final fit of the barrel to the slide, the bushing and the final frame to slide fit.
its all pretty close so it should only be a few hours. here are the first pics of the parts.

hopefully the parts come early and i can start fitting the trigger and mag catch by the end of the day..... any questions please feel free to ask
By sludwinjr
my brownells order came in friday, so ive got quite of few hours in this as of today saturday 5pm.........frame to slide fit is very nice, barrel lockup is good, the barrel bushing to me is still a hair tight, im gonna play with the bushing a little more tomorrow. polished up the hammer, sear, trigger bow, tried a few differant sear springs till i found the righ one. the ed brown beavertail was a cluster f*ck, the frame was already radius cut to .250, so the ed brown beavertail should have went in pretty easliy but not this time, the hole in the beavertail for the thumb safety to go through was machine crooked so it fought me for hours till i figured it out. found another locally and after a few more hours it fits and functions correct. i still have to blend in the beavertail on the outside for cosmetic purposes but wont until the gun is functioning. after a few more hours the gun is more or less together except for sights. the gun cycles snap caps with absolutely no hiccups and feels great. so i have a few more hours of cosmetic blending, i want to polish up some more of the internals and barrel, polished the beavertail up, finish the last bit of dehorning, but so far it cycles snap caps which is a great start..........i will post more pics of ongoing stuff soon, but here is a few

By sludwinjr
okay, today ive been working on this most of the day as inot much going on today.......
i final fitted the barrel bushing which is smooth now, i final fitted the beavertail and blended the outiside of the frame to beavertail so it looks really nice. i final polished up the trigger, polished up the sear and disconnector angles, ect......
dissasembled everything and cleaned it up , then i bead blasted most of the parts with 170/350 glass bead, installed grip bushings and grips, wiped her down, cycled the 5 snap-caps through it prob 200 times and functioned perfect. the trigger id prob around 3.5-4.0 ponds and is nice and crisp with the over travel adjusted perfect.
all im waiting for now is the sights i ordered to come in so i can fit those and then go to the range to see how it cycles with real ammo. i have 400 rounds of 10mm ready to go.......
not sure if ill keep it stainless and install a set of red cocobola grips or go black or a 2 tone....so much to decide.......
By sludwinjr
i finally got the sights installed, took it to the range today, put about 300 rounds through it/ a few minor hiccups ( 1 squib and a few nose dives which were due to the rounds being to long, crappy crappy williams cartridge company ammo) but other than that the gun was great, after a few mags of adjusting the rear sight the gun is incredible.........considering the front sight kept shifting since it came loose.

very happy with it till the last mag when my front sight popped off. found it and its very loose, he must have filed it a little to much. so on the way home i stopped at jojo's to see if they a basic front sight i could have them throw on and holy cr*p....bad idea!!!!!! the guy t the counter was like " well be honest who really put them on, oh he screwed you, id make him redo them" all i wanted was to buy new front sight to shoot it again tomorrow.....that is the first time anyone there ever had a tude......and honestly after all the money ive spent im F'N irritated.......but ill call jody tomorrow

but overall extremely happy with the gun.....cant wait to get the sight fixed ( have to go tuesday to ludlow mass)
By hayes1966
I removed some posts so the progress of the build could be seen from start to finish.

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.
By myglimk2
That is so SEXY!!
By GreggAndrews
BEAUTIFUL build. :)
By sludwinjr
I'm thinking of leaving her stainless with a set of Wilson slim red cocobolo grips. And well call her my hmmm

Executive 10. Yeah ummmmm

We'll. Ummmmm.

My 10
By sludwinjr
If anyone wants to shoot it let me know
I'm always around
By GreggAndrews
Executive 10.
I like the ring of that.
By myglimk2
GreggAndrews wrote:
Executive 10.
I like the ring of that.
Leave it all SS and get "Executive 10" engraved on the slide. 8)
By hayes1966
sludwinjr wrote: red cocobolo grips.
Looks very sharp.

Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!