Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By GreggAndrews

this knife is a contemporary birding knife I'm almost completely done with (just actually completed it last week). I ran out of polyurethane, so I used Linseed oil for the scales so far, until I get a nice gloss poly. This particular knife I've adorned with filework (if my crappy camera caught it), and is made from one solid piece of precision ground .125'' O1. The blank was annealed three times, normalized, and then quenched. Blade is differential tempered; the spine & body of the blade are Rc52, and the edge (up to 1/8'') was left at Rc62. Scales are slabs of Honduran mahogany, fastened with brass pins (peened & then ground flush).

I repeatedly anneal my blade stock (before shaping) to not only soften it to the low Rc30's (MUCH easier to shape), but so that it will more readily take a nicer finish, and when finally hardened, the grain structure of the steel is so reduced (as annealed, it is Pearlite), so that even when the grain grows within the steel (formation of carbides), they will remain extremely fine, and allow for a scalpel-like edge (in fact, the low carbon stainless' used in scalpels were designed on the very same principle), and HIGH resistance to chipping and even catastrophic breakage.
By GreggAndrews

This one was yet another waylaid project of mine. I WAS trying to design a fighting knife to be the counter to the F/S pattern three (but full tang), but unfortunately the project was laid to rest due to school & work consuming more of my time. This particular knife is made from 5160, through & through tempered to 55Rc. While a good edge holder, the cool thing about this knife, is it's sheer durability. I've beaten the living crap out of this knife, and it has yet to give way. Not once have I ever had the edge collapse, bend, or fold. The edge has rolled, but a quick snuggle session with a sharpening steel & it's resolved. I have TRIED to break it, and I've gone as far as sticking it in a vise, and hitting it crossways with a hammer. It springs back, and just keeps on going.

I'm thinking about making another one. This one was just a prototype, and I intend on making a NICER version (as in, at least looking presentable). As sharp as it is, and with a 7'' blade I have plenty of reach for either quick plunges or defensively raking across the face, as was the original intent of the F/S. Very well balanced, and light as a feather.

Daggers have always fascinated me, as the art of knife-fighting always has.
By GreggAndrews

This one was actually a "Go-Green" inspiration of mine. The blade was ORIGINALLY an old Craftsman edger blade (circa mid 1950's). Spark testing, it felt like 1075 or something similar. Rather than risking cracking, I annealed it once, shaped the blade profile, and then hardened it to approx. mid fifties Rc. While not an absolutely stellar edge holder (although quite good), the flat grinds allow for a RAZOR-like edge.

Here's the kicker, the brass tube for the scales came from the dump (old coolant line, don't worry I cleaned it!!!), and the scales themselves are maple... which were once the floorboards of a house nearly 300yrs. old! (And that floor was ORIGINAL!)

Overall, a good knife. I like it, it handles well, and it does what it's supposed to.
By GreggAndrews

Alright, this one is a cheapie. I had a really worn down #1 Nicholson (fifties, sixties mfg.), about 6'' long... My three hour project.

So I made a Mr. Poky. Actually, it's a pretty good edge holder, and fairly sharp. I probably left it way too hard for such a thin knife (1/16''), but what the hey. For a "GET OFF ME" tool, I like it, and it's definitely a conversation starter... or ender. ;)

I'm assuming it's either 01 or W2 (both are extremely similar, with the exception of W-series steels being water quenched), and the handles are again Honduran mahogany held on with copper pins and epoxy (the pins are there for extra insurance). The ricasso/finger-guard is a piece of brass sheet I layered and then silver soldered. Not terribly effective, but for plunge cuts it stops the fingers from slipping up & over. Cold blued it too for a little extra aesthetic appeal (although lacking already).
By GreggAndrews

As the title states, this is not a subtle knife by any stretch of the imagination. With a few feet of leaf spring laying around, a homebrew forge, and a few hours during my summer break, I set out to make a proto-copy of the knife Jack Krauser used in Resident Evil 4 (if you've ever played the game). This is a MASSIVE chunk of steel. .25'' 5160, hardened all the way through to 54Rc. Flattening the springs was easy, but grinding & final shaping WAS NOT.

While it's not sharp enough to pull the hair off of your arm, it's surely sharp enough for camp work. I've brought it along on occasions where I needed a good chopper, but something that could reach & cut as well. If you want to clear brush, split kindling, or render 2'' limbs from pine trees look no further.

The handles are mahogany (I have a LOT of this stuff laying around), and the slabs are fixed by brass tubing & epoxy. Contoured & comfortable, it's an AWESOME camp knife.

One of these days, I will get a large piece of flat ground 01 or L6, and make a proper copy. This one was yet another prototype to see if I could get it to work. Pitted leaf spring does not make for a pretty knife, that's for certain.
By GreggAndrews

This one was another "Green" build I decided to do. I had yet another old (50+yrs.) file that was far too worn down to be serviceable, so I figured "Hey, why not make a knife?".

This is confirmed to be W2, of which I thoroughly hardened to Rc58 or so (at least that is what it should be). This is a cute little dagger that is more multi-purpose than a fighter, while it would serve well filling either role. Scrap brass tube, & 50+yr. old mahogany strip compose the fasteners & slabs. Fairly sharp, holds an edge well. While it will cut hair off your arm easily, it pulls just a little. The finish is actually a combination of cold bluing & heat: my homebrew attempt at color-case hardening (without the case... or hardening...)

It's not a fighter, but it's not a utilitarian knife either... what on earth is it???
By myglimk2
When are you making mine? :P

By YeaItsSlo
choppers not found.
By GreggAndrews
The big one is good at chopping/hacking/dicing/slicing/smashing/etc.

:D
By myglimk2
GreggAndrews wrote:The big one is good at chopping/hacking/dicing/slicing/smashing/etc.

:D
Exactly! So when am I getting one!?
By GreggAndrews
Don't worry! I'm still trying to find a nice, CLEAN piece of tool/spring steel large enough!!!!!!! :lol:
By myglimk2
Make me something like this:
By JohnFH
GreggAndrews wrote:Don't worry! I'm still trying to find a nice, CLEAN piece of tool/spring steel large enough!!!!!!! :lol:
Leaf springs
By GreggAndrews
Leaf springs
That's what I've been using for quite a few of them!

Unfortunately, it's hard finding a spring that hasn't been rotted bad enough to be pitted... and the new springs are generally worthless (they're actually case-hardened!).
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!