Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By jamesb
I want to build a race gun. Simple as that. I don't compete, and i'm not an incredible shot that it is going to make me that much better of a shooter, but who cares! It will make me happy seeing my firearm complete. I decided last Friday that i'm going to follow through and start the build.

I am running my Glock 34 for my local plate shooting and have decided I wanted to build a custom Glock race gun, just because.

Lets start:

I picked up a used Glock 17 Gen 3 a few weeks ago. I scored it for a great deal at $389 + tax at a great gun shop. It is like new with all original parts and case included. Well I got the base firearm so lets get ordering parts.

I want an accurate, low recoiling, fast firearm. I want a smoother, lighter trigger than factory. Most of all, I want the Glock reliability to remain intact. Because of this, and the fact I am using factory 9mm ammo, I have decided to not run a comp. I may try one later on, but for now i'm going to leave that alone.

Upon getting the Glock 17 I knew it was time to start ordering parts and getting the complete vision together. For everything so far, i've ordered from Glockworx.com and Glockstore.com. I spent a couple hours browsing online for what I want the gun to look like and what parts I want to put into this build to go with my ultimate vision.

Trigger - I've decided to go with a ZEV Tech Fulcrum trigger from Glockworx. With adjustable overtravel and reset, as well as a smoother, lighter trigger pull it seemed like a no brainer. Ordered with red safety and black trigger.

Guiderod - I knew a Zev Tech Tungsten guiderod was the way to go. It is around 4X heavier than stock, so it should help to reduce muzzle rize. I've coupled this with a 12lb recoil spring.

Magwell - i've opted for a Zev Tech Speed Feed Magwell in Black with a large insert. This will not only make mag changes quicker, but should also help add to the weight to tame recoil.

Barrel - Since not going with a comp, I wanted a good, well known barrel that offers accuracy. I ordered up a KKM Match drop-in barrel. Not only should it give me the accuracy that i'm looking for, but will really offset the build with it's stainless steel finish.

Sights - I was debating what to do here and figured I'd go all out and run a reflex sight. After reading reviews, i've decided to go with a C-More STS 7 MOA red dot.

Grip - I've ordered Falcon grip tape to get a solid no-slip grip when firing.

Custom work -Slide - After seeing a another forum member's custom slide work from Glockworx.com i've decided to send out my slide for some custom milling. I've emailed Ray Wong to discuss what I was looking for and i've shipped out the slide this morning. Turn around time is around 45 days. I will be getting the C-More sight cut on the slide which will allow the dot to sit lower, more inline with where the front sight would be. I will also be getting some really sweet milling on the front of the slide.

I may do some grip frame work, but for now i'm keeping it stock.

Hope you all enjoy the build. As I mentioned I will be updating this thread with part photos as they arrive, install photos, and info on ease of assembly, issues, quality, etc.

UPDATE 11/2/2011

Tonight I received my parts from Glockworx. I had some time and I was able to take some photos of my progresss.

First, here is the stock Glock 17 frame that I am starting from. I plan to keep any parts removed for spares.

This is the ZEV Tech Speed Feed magwell. I ordered it in black aluminum with a large brass insert. This setup is heavier than the 6.7 oz Dawsom Precision magwell on my Glock 34. The black finish really goes well with the Glock frame.

Mounts using two screws and really helps with mag changes. Install time took maybe a total of 2 or 3 minutes.

Next, we have the ZEV Tech Tungsten Guiderod, 12lb spring, and their spring retaining washer. Easily put together. I may opt to put a dab of blue loctite on the screw so it doesn’t loosen. Knowing how there is constant pressure on it I don’t think it is absolutely necessary.

The part I was looking to install the most is the Glockworx Drop-In Fulcrum Trigger. I ordered mine with a red safety. Included with the trigger are two striker springs (2 lb & 3 lb), Trigger Spring, and Titanium Firing Pin Safety with spring.

According to Glockworx the trigger pull is adjustable from 2 - 6 lbs. I found when installing the trigger assembly the pull was definitely lighter and crisper than the stock 5.5 lb pull, but it didn’t feel like a 2 lb pull. Also, out of the package the pre-travel and over-travel were still pretty long. I heated up the two allen screws as it was noted in the instructions and tightened the screws about 1/2 turn which shortened both. Now, the trigger has just a hint of pre-travel and the over-travel has been shortened as well. After adjusting the set screws you need to install the trigger and make sure everything works as it should. I wanted to see how much the other springs that were included lightened the trigger, so I decided to install them in my Glock 34 slide as a test. My 17 slide has already been sent out for milling and coating. After installing the 2 lb Striker spring and Titanium Firing Pin Safety and spring, it definitely lightened the pull even more. I would assume the extra trigger spring included is also lighter than the one it came installed with, but I haven’t installed that yet. I plan to install the 2 lb Striker Spring and the Ti Firing Pin Safety in the 17 slide. I will then test for reliabily.

Upon finishing all this tonight I think it is really coming together nicely. While working on this project i’ve found out what each part does, how to take it all apart, and how to reinstall everything. Glockworx sent the parts quickly, packaged well, and everything I ordered was there.

I can’t wait until my order from Glockstore arrives as i’m looking forward to continuing the build and documenting it as I go.

Any questions, tips, ideas, or comments are always appreciated.

By jamesb
Just a bit of an update. I'm still waiting for my order from Glockstore. Ordered on 10/28/2011, followed up a week later and there was an issue with inventory. Supposedly order would ship on 11/7/2011. Followed up Tuesday, 11/8/2011 and my C-More STS sight was out of stock and is expected in today, so the order should be shipped by the end of this week. They said they will upgrade me to two day shipping no charge as I had paid for 3 day shipping.

No big deal, just wish I would get the stuff. Part of the order has my sight tools so I can swap sights on my Glock 34.

Speaking of the 34, I shot my first plate shoot at Bridgeport range this past Tuesday. Mods to the 34 are:

Falcon grip tape
Dawson ICE 6.7oz Magwell
Glockworx Competition trigger spring, striker spring, and plunger spring

I ended up in the A class (6 rounds, then A, B, C classes based on performance) for the final rounds. Only one guy beat me all night. He just so happens to be very, very fast compared to the others and i've heard he rarely gets beat if at all. He was running a custom Limcat 2011.

I tied with him my first round. We had to do it again as it was too close to call. Unfortunately, I didn't beat him all night, but other than that I did awesome! I came close a few times and the last round I was ahead, but had trouble with the last plate. I am very happy. For no actual plate shooting or competition experience I felt I did well. I only ever target shoot. It is just a fun night, no real prizes or anything, but you can't help but compete seeing as you go head to head.

Going to be checking out IDPA locally as well.

Stay tuned for more photos, updates, and info once I get my order in.
By jamesb
Alright it's update time! First I want to show my "setup". I've been posting this on multiple sites and it seems some people want to know what gear i'm using to take my photos.

First off, i'm using a thick paper for the background. As you can see in the photo below I have a Canon 430EXII on camera left bouncing off a white reflector. I'm using a 1D Mark IV body with both a 24mm f/1.4L II and 100 f/2.8L lens. On camera, i'm bouncing a 580EXII flash towards the right wall.

I'm shooting in RAW and importing into Adobe Lightroom, doing minor tweaks and then exporting as a JPEG.

Lets begin:

Got the Falcon grip tape on.

The new KKM Match Grade drop-in barrel. I can't wait to test this out. Quality looks very good. Looking at the twist rate compared to the stock barrel it is definitely fewer twists.

The optics for the build. C-More STS 3.5 MOA. Looks great. So much so I've placed an order for another one as spare and/or for another gun.

Now the only thing i'm waiting for is the slide to be completed and returned from Glockworx. Then install everything, sight it in, and test it out!

While we wait, here are my new Truglo TFO sights on my Glock 34 plate/carry gun. Also you see my new, and first, IDPA rig from Blade-tech. Only thing not shown is the Wilderness Tactical Easy-Fit Instructor belt.

By PaiN
BeAuTiFuL :D
Good shooting with it James, may it bring you many wins
By Drew
Is that a Gibson fretboard sneaking into a picture?
By viola
Very nice! I love the Red Kydex as well.
By jamesb
Drew wrote:Is that a Gibson fretboard sneaking into a picture?
Nope, Epiphone :D

Don't worry. I have no idea actually how to play it either.

As for the red kydex. Yep! I thought it was bad ass as soon as I opened the package.
By jamesb
Wow! This has been a fun build! Everything came together wonderfully and I am really looking forward to getting it to the range this weekend. The slide looks great! Finish is the DLC coating which is very matte looking. Now that it is "finished" I think the only thing left to do is a stipple job. I was hesitant because it is permanent and I've never done it before, but after doing my new M&P tonight I think it will really give it that custom look i'm after over the grip tape.

Without further ado....feast your eyes on this beast!

And my first stipple job:

By PaiN
They don't much better than this build James...strong work. I can't wait to hear how it runs for you.

What did you use to stipple the M&P? thx
By jamesb
PaiN wrote:They don't much better than this build James...strong work. I can't wait to hear how it runs for you.

What did you use to stipple the M&P? thx
Thanks man. I used a 25 watt soldering iron (sears wood burning kit). It comes with different tips.
By JohnB
all i can say is....wow
By viola
Very nice James! Both guns came out great
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]