Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Competitive Bullseye Shooting, match information, instructor notes and suggestions.
By SR9
I have a chance to pick up a Ruger MKII Target with target grips and bull barrel (4 inch) for a very reasonable price. Question is will this 4 inch barrel be good enough in terms of accuracy?

It does look like a bit of a challenge to mount a rail on it for my red dot though.

Bullseye pistol or Plinker?

I may buy it just to have since the price is pretty good and it is LNIB but would like some opinions from the bullseye shooters.

Just cannot ante up the $$ for a Pardini or Hammerli right now.
By Mike-Sid
Hopefully JohnB will chime in..... If it is a good price get it either way!

How much?
By JohnFH
if your shooting a dot, then barrel length won't matter, longer barrels give longer sight radius, that is wanted for open sights.
By CTSixshot
I don't see where a 4" tube will sacrifice your accuracy in any significant amount. Less sight radius, but you aren't going to be using iron anyway. If the price is right, it should do just fine in my book. (That extra heft of a 6" bull barrel would really ease that severe recoil though!)
By SR9
Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking re barrel length and I will be using a dot . I think I will pick it up any way.

Good to get input from others that have more experience than I do.
By xring
You can't go wrong with a Ruger, many people shoot great scores with them. May be quite as balanced as one of the expensive pistols you can buy but for the money, they are a great pistol. Unless it's been done, it will probably need a trigger job. A bullseye gun needs a good breaking trigger to help you extract good scores with it. I'd take a cheap pistol that feels good in my hand with a great trigger over an expensive one with a lousy trigger, although that is usually not the case.
By GreggAndrews
Wow, that is quite the barrel at 10". That has to be a challenge to aim.
Actually, it may very well be the easiest of all to shoot! Longer sight radius (admittedly you might not be using irons), and that little extra forward balance might offset however little muzzle rise there is. :)
By SR9
Well, it worked out pretty good for me in the last Winter League. My average was definitely better than last year.

It also worked quite well at the WLOPA shoot on Sunday afternoon.
By newguy
I saw a article on guns.com a month or so ago about how our military did a study. To see if shorting the barrel length to reduce weight on the M16 would reduce accuracy and they found out it didn't make a difference.
By Kimber-45
The newer Rugers have are already drilled for a rail. Older ones have to be taken to a gunsmith which could cost you a few bucks.
Sounds like a plinker.
By SR9
Kimber-45 wrote:The newer Rugers have are already drilled for a rail. Older ones have to be taken to a gunsmith which could cost you a few bucks.
Sounds like a plinker.
The new MKIIIs are not very good with the mag safety and LCI. I have retired that on and used a no gunsmith mount for my red dot. Used it all last winter plus the Bell City Summer League been very happy with it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!