News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Silencer Question

Class III Shooting

Moderator: Moderators

bizkitjmd1
Marksman III
Marksman III

Silencer Question

Postby bizkitjmd1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:52 pm

So how unwise would it be to shoot .22LR from a silencer designed for .223/5.56?

Member: NRA<br>NRA Pistol Instructor<br>NRA Range Safety Officer<br>Firefighter/EMT<br>

ChrisNCT
Sharpshooter V
Sharpshooter V

Postby ChrisNCT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 pm

You can do it but keep in mind...... .22 is really dirty and fill up rim fire cans after couple thousand rounds are fired. You can clean most of them if you can take them apart.

After seeing how much junk is produced from firing .22 rounds, you may choose not to.

You just have to make sure if you are shooting a .22 conversion out of an AR, that the round is stabilized pretty god. You don't want to hit any baffles or end cap. The barrels that are .223/5.56 can stabilize decently but you may opt for dedicated .22 upper if going that route as dedicated .22 barrels have the proper more diameter and twist rate.

Most of the debris that would be inside the center fire can would probably blow out or vaporize after few .223/5.56 rounds were fired.

So in short, yes you can but look at your options.

AgentP
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby AgentP » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:55 pm

My baffles from my AAC pilot. 22lr is very dirty. this was about 5000 rounds or so (probably more). My pilot was not meant to be taken apart, but I had it jailbroken, it was almost to the point of being retired. Now, its as good as new!

So, yes you can, but not really the best idea.

bizkitjmd1
Marksman III
Marksman III

Postby bizkitjmd1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:35 pm

My plan is to get the AAC M4-2000 . I will put the quick detach flash hider on my pre ban and the quick detach muzzle break on my M&P15-22 and switch the can between the two.
Member: NRA<br>NRA Pistol Instructor<br>NRA Range Safety Officer<br>Firefighter/EMT<br>

Return to “Class III”