Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Action Shooting
By CTSixshot
I'm not a regular, but the Silver City Club is exclusively .22LR (ie rimfire) plates. Once they start up their season, give it a go. Friday evenings, I believe.

Oh, I used to have the basic Ruger Mk2 Target model.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Arby238
I use a Ruger 22 45 or a GSG 1911.
By jtf650
I shoot plates at Silver City mostly with a Browning Buckmark, sometimes a CZ75B Kadet conversion. I'd say most of the shooters have Ruger MKs or 22/45s, and Buckmarks, with a smattering of High Standards, S&W 41s and 22As, an occasional Sig Trailside, Beretta Neos, and most anything else you can think of shows up eventually. As long as the gun operates reliably and goes bang when you pull the trigger, you should be ok- bullseye type accuracy is not required for plates. It is great fun, though. For even more fun, try it with a revolver!
By SR9
I have a MKIII that would be good for plates if it were reliable with standard velocity LRN ammo. I just might get rid of it and look for a MKII or Buckmark.

For the price I thought about an SR22.
By newguy
Honestly MK series pistols triggers I liked better then the SR22 I had personally. The SR22 trigger was real soft and i couldn't feel the trigger reset well.
By jtf650
I've used both standard velocity and high velocity (nothing more powerful than CCI Mini-Mags per club rules), and it may be my imagination, but the hv seems to knock down the plates with more authority than the sv. Unless you feel you must use sv, why not try some hv stuff- Blazer or Walmart Federal bulk seems to be pretty reliable, and Mini-Mags are the gold standard. If you're having problems with your MKIII and sv ammo, maybe the guys over at rimfirecentral.com could help diagnose the issue- there are some very knowledgeable people there.

There was an SR22 at the last shoot. Just my personal opinion, but the short barrel and light weight aren't optimal for plates, although as always it's mostly about the shooter, not the equipment. I think your MKIII is a better choice, just need to get it working reliably.
By JohnFH
My MK III sucks on standard velocity, it shoots the faster stuff much better
By GixerJockey
Matabasset does a 22 two-gun style match on the first Saturday of each month. 22 rifle plates... put the gun down and move to the 22 pistol plates. Tons of fun!
By CTSixshot
GixerJockey wrote:Matabasset does a 22 two-gun style match on the first Saturday of each month. 22 rifle plates... put the gun down and move to the 22 pistol plates. Tons of fun!
Check that...it's 22s on the 4th Saturday, if I recall and per their website:
http://mattabassett.com/events.htm

While in Berlin ask about Southington Sportsmans; they usually do a Saturday plate shoot with cf's and rf's.

My dad has a Mk3 that doesn't seem to go into full battery after firing the first round. I don't know what ammo we were using, but is this a symptom you guys get with SV? I thought it was all the extra garbage they added to the Mk3 (loaded chamber indicator etc.) vs. the always reliable Mk2 I used to have.
By SR9
jtf650 wrote:I've used both standard velocity and high velocity (nothing more powerful than CCI Mini-Mags per club rules), and it may be my imagination, but the hv seems to knock down the plates with more authority than the sv. Unless you feel you must use sv, why not try some hv stuff- Blazer or Walmart Federal bulk seems to be pretty reliable, and Mini-Mags are the gold standard. If you're having problems with your MKIII and sv ammo, maybe the guys over at rimfirecentral.com could help diagnose the issue- there are some very knowledgeable people there.

There was an SR22 at the last shoot. Just my personal opinion, but the short barrel and light weight aren't optimal for plates, although as always it's mostly about the shooter, not the equipment. I think your MKIII is a better choice, just need to get it working reliably.
After a lot of posts on RFC and Ruger forums a couple of years ago I applied some magazine tweaks and got the MKIII working reliably on Mini Mags. Shot 22 bulls eye for 2 seasons with good results thanks to a nice trigger job by a forum member. The nice trigger is why I would like to hang on to it. Unfortunately, my club is mandating LRN ammo for plate shooting so I am stuck with standard velocity CCI which I have a bunch of.

I would just use my current bulls eye gun but they will penalize 1 plate for a red dot. Not to mention that I want the practice using open sites.
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:My MK III sucks on standard velocity, it shoots the faster stuff much better
Mine does too John, actually any standard velocity LRN ammo gives the same crappy results. It was a FTF 90% of the time. The nose of the bullet would hit the feed ramp low and would dig in. After I got the copper plated mini mags going I never went back to look at the FTF issue.

I think it has something to do with the way the magazine sits in the grip frame or the mag safety but that is just a guess.

I tried 2 other new magazines with the same results. In any case it needs more work. If I thought Ruger would really fix a problem like that I would send it back.
By newguy
My brother inlaw had same issue you have. He called Ruger and sent it out to them and now he runs standard Blazer crap bulk box with no issues. They took care of it for free. They even sent him a extra mag for free for his MKIII
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!