Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Action Shooting
By Woody
Anyone know why the Hartford gun club cancelled it's IDPA matches for this weekend and the one in may? This was to be my first match, and I purposely chose it over one at pachaug a Month ago.
Just pissed.
By magneton44
That Sucks.. might want to ask them..
By GixerJockey
I don't know what it was but, Dave over at Wolf's was pretty pissed about it. Some sort of politics was getting in the way.
By Chantry
All IDPA, IPSC and Cowboy shoots have been cancelled as of now for April & May. From what I heard, it is due to an insurance issue.

HGC has been very supportive of the Cowboy shoots and the club seems to appreciate the money the various discplines bring in, so I don't think they cancelled the shoots lightly.
By Tank
Yeah, was really disappointed by that email. I hope they can sort everything out since they put on two major matches in the fall :(
By JohnFH
This is going to be a continuing issue, if they can't make guns illegal, they will just make it impossible to have a place to shoot.

Or like a car, gun owners will have to provide an insanely expensive insurance policy just to own them, they have already tried that against owners and failed so far, but ranges are a much easier target.

Pay attention folks.
By Glshooter
The matches were cancelled due to a legal matter. There was an accident at the 3-gun match last year and the person has filed suit against the club.
By JohnFH
GIshooter, Thank you for clearly making my point.
By Hermes
John, please don't take every little thing that happens to support your claim that the evil government is trying to take away our rights.

GIshooter has stated that a person, who was at the 3-gun match last year, has filed a lawsuit against the club. This is not the government. This isn't even some anti-gun nut. This is someone who is either a shooter, or interested enough in shooting that he or she was present at a 3-gun match. It is someone who decided that an accident is the perfect opportunity to get rich at the expense of everyone else.

I harp on this again and again. It does not help our case when we make blanket, unsupported statements. It does not help our case when we skew any evidence we see as evidence that everyone is against us. It does not help our case when any slight impediment to our ability to shoot anywhere and any time we want to is cause to bring up every single other wrong that has happened.

What helps our case is clear, directed, and logical arguments, targeting specific issues one by one.
By JohnFH
Actually I said insurance, mandated by, well you decide who.

There is nothing unsupported, you have to have insurance, insurance companies base their rates on how much of a risk they think there is they are going to have to pay out. If they decide the risk is too high, the rates are out of this world or they refuse to sell the policy.

"This is someone who is either a shooter, or interested enough in shooting that he or she was present at a 3-gun match. It is someone who decided that an accident is the perfect opportunity to get rich at the expense of everyone else."

I am pro gun, attempting to keep fellow shooters aware of the issues we face, insurance and law suits are a huge issue for us as individual shooters and clubs. And we both agree that we can do as much damage from with-in as from the outside

Shooting events have been canceled because as you stated
It is someone who decided that an accident is the perfect opportunity to get rich at the expense of everyone else.
Where does the money come from that someone is expecting to get rich from?

End result, insurance is involved and affected in some way.
By GreggAndrews
Hermes, with all due respect I agree with your points here, but I have to side with John.

I've come to realize that all of the anti-gun legislation put out there isn't because of some irrational fear, etc., but rather some odd malicious intent harbored towards people. If anything, we are a means to an end to these folks.

Long story short, our opposition LOVES to harp on these legal issues, because they make some degree of sense to people who are otherwise blissfully unaware of their true agenda.
What helps our case is clear, directed, and logical arguments, targeting specific issues one by one.
In any other instance Hermes, I would agree. Unfortunately our opposition only seeks to malign us for their personal gain. Never have I seen an anti-2A argument that was well thought out, or that did not carpet-bomb every issue they decide to bring up; no matter how incorrect or maligned their "facts" & "statistics" may be.

Long story short, no anti-constitutionalist (yes, I made that up!) has EVER been civil from what I have seen. If they want to bend or outright break the rules of common decency to further their own agenda, why should we have to sit back while they systematically destroy us?
By Hermes
The person involved filed a lawsuit. That is the person trying to profit from the situation. Now the Hartford Gun Club (or rather, its insurers) have to hire their own lawyers to defend themselves. This is not on the insurance company. This is not a conspiracy to make it impossible to have a place to shoot. This is on one person filing a lawsuit, raising the risk level for everyone.
JohnFH wrote:This is going to be a continuing issue, if they can't make guns illegal, they will just make it impossible to have a place to shoot.

Or like a car, gun owners will have to provide an insanely expensive insurance policy just to own them, they have already tried that against owners and failed so far, but ranges are a much easier target.

Pay attention folks.
My issue is with "they". There is no "they" here. Everything I see (and to be fair, I only have the information present on this forum here) points to actions by one single person. There is also no evidence to support your claim that now gun owners will have to provide insurance to own guns. That's just fearmongering on your part.

Back on topic, I hope this gets resolved quickly and favorably for the Hartford Gun Club. The last thing we need is every insurance company raising their rates in fear of sue-happy people.
By Tank
Matchreg.com says IDPA at HGC has been permanently cancelled. :(
By Chantry
Currently ALL public shoots involving the pistol or rifle ranges, including pistol permit classes are cancelled for the time being, whether it becomes permanent or not is still up in the air.

From what I have heard, the VP of the club and one other member on the Board of Directors/Executive Board are opposing public shoots.

So if anybody knows members at HGC, you might point out to them that IDPA, IPSC, Cowboy and Pistol Permit classes probably contributed tens of thousands of dollars each year to the club's budget. Might also want to point out to them that at least some of that money will have to come from somewhere to cover the difference
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!